Singer Songwriters who should be household names....

by hillary_step 178 Replies latest social entertainment

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I would love to know the "famous" versions of some the songs by the songwriters you guys post.

John Prine, for instance, was covered by Bonnie Raitt doing Angel From Montgomery (it's worth collecting all the beautiful versions of that song out there, but I think Bonny is the only truly "famous" person to do it?). Now that I think about it, it's funny to think about who gets "famous" and who doesn't, among the groups of truly talented people. John Prine would be relegated to the ranks of great songwriters no one has ever heard of, except that, well, nobody really does his stuff any better than he does his own; and he does it very, very well; consequently, he may not be a household name, but he's still very well known, and can fill a concert hall pretty much anywhere on earth.

Willie Nelson is of course about as famous as anyone, but he's another who, even if you'd never heard of him, you would have heard from him, because he's written so many hit songs done by other people.

John Hiatt's songs are probably more famous than he is (again partially thanks to Bonnie Raitt)

Led Zepplin is a great place to start for finding obscure songwriters, since they were notorious for ripping off other people's work w/o credit (makes it a little hard to search, but the info is out there).

• fifi40
  • minimus
    minimus

Nobody is better than Nick Pensham. Nobody!

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Sh!t, look at Sammy Hagar, 61 this year. Steven Tyler is 60. Still kickin' out good jams!

• minimus
    minimus

But Nick Pensham has it over everyone!

• fifi40
  • undercover
    undercover

What's the definition of "household names"?

Rod Stewart is a household name. Hell, my mother knows who he is. That's kind of my measuring stick to see if someone has really hit the big time. If my mom, who leads a sheltered JW life has heard of them, well then...they've made it.

She knows the Rolling Stones but I doubt she can name anyone outside of Mick and Keef...so I guess Mick Taylor fits the definition of "should be..."

My contribution to singer/songwriter who should have been a household name... Al Kooper

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Six,

John Prine would be relegated to the ranks of great songwriters no one has ever heard of, except that, well, nobody really does his stuff any better than he does his own; and he does it very, very well; consequently, he may not be a household name, but he's still very well known, and can fill a concert hall pretty much anywhere on earth.

Yes, that is true. John Prine has done a clever thing and got out of the music industry into the John Prine industry and has developed his own niche.

'A good song takes you far' and even some of these more obscure songwriters have done very well financially without every really being known. For example, Fred Neil wrote 'Everybody's Talkin' which is the most played piece of music to which royalties are attached. To date 5 million royalty checks have been written to his estate. I remember in the late 60's when Don Mclean issued 'American Pie' he was asked by a journalist 'what do the words mean?' He answered, 'They mean I will never have to work again'.

Some were ahead of their time and were at the station before trains were invented, Nick Drake for example. His albums never sold more than five thousand copies, yet in recent years younger musicians have rediscovered him and his songs are finally getting listened to. Nick was a friend of mine and we knew at the time that something special was happening, so did the industry, but the public were not. You will find musicians like Richard Thompson, Danny Thompson, John Martyn all sessioning for him on his albums. They knew what was happening.

At one stage Armet Ertigun (Atlantic Records) shortlisted two songwriters for their inhouse team, Danny O'Keefe and Jimmy Webb. Of course Jimmy won the day and Danny was pretty much beached for years on the banks of musical history. Sometimes, fate takes a hand.

Nick Drake - 'River Man'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEAsZa4Qz2Y

HS

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Joan Wasser she heads Joan as Police Woman, just a wonderful singer/songwriter!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2XS5mQawaQg

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Speaking of Rod Stewart, this Kenny Everett clip is a classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVtycu6WVQ&feature=related

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit