What are you doing to save money on groceries and gas?

by milligal 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am trying a tip from Suze Orman. I used to shop once a week, and then go to the store occasionally for things I had forgotten. The once a week trip was a full cart and expensive.

She recommended giving up that practice and only going when you actually need something, and buying only those things. I am finding I spend about half as much for food and grocery items. She also said to use what you have in the cupboards and see how long you can go without shopping.

The store is very close, so gas use is minimal.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

>>>>>She recommended giving up that practice and only going when you actually need something, and buying only those things. I am finding I spend about half as much for food and grocery items. She also said to use what you have in the cupboards and see how long you can go without shopping.

I tried that -- I would end up eating out because I was missing an ingredient here and there and didn't want to go to the store. I just make a menu and buy stuff to make those menu items. It saves me money because I already have meals to pick and I'm more likely to cook instead of ordering out. (Everything in the planet is available for delivery where I live!)

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I no longer wear Diamonds on the soles of my shoes.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

buy at the Asian Market. You can get really GREAT deals there. Say for instance I want Basil. If I were to buy a pack of fresh at the normal market, it runs up to 3.00.

Great point Sparkplug ...

We do this all the time. Basil, bok choy, and many other items are a fraction of the cost at an Asian market.

I bought bean sprouts over the weekend and paid 79 cents a pound. At our local supermarket, they are $1.99 for a 12 ounce package, and nowhere near as fresh.

Same thing with seafood. I buy live crabs for $2.49 a pound at the Asian market instead of $3.99 or so elsewhere.

Rub a Dub

• Mulan
    Mulan
    buy at the Asian Market. You can get really GREAT deals there. Say for instance I want Basil. If I were to buy a pack of fresh at the normal market, it runs up to 3.00.

We go to the Asian market too. Great deals on meat and produce. Their ramen (like Top Ramen) is not less than the major stores though.

We have several large ones within a couple of miles here, and I definitely go there. Often am the only one like me in the store though. That feels weird.

• garybuss
    garybuss

In all of life, and especially in times of devaluing of the currency like we are experiencing now, short term plans can be useful, but what's needed is a long term solution to a long term problem.

Like my story about the guy who chopped firewood in the 70's. He used up a LOT of time and energy on a short term solution to a long term problem. Being busy should not be confused with doing something.

My mother often told us a penny saved is a penny earned. That's a fallacy. A penny saved is one cent in the bank. In my 20's one of my mentors told me that if I did what rich people do, I will be rich. I might not be rich, but my family has prospered following that insight.

When I see Buffett chopping wood and buying a bumble bee scooter then I'll think about it. The reason I don't hear Buffett complaining about the price of gas and bread is he has enough money to buy both. I see that as a long term solution. I've been broke and I've had money . . . having money is better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit