What are you doing to save money on groceries and gas?

by milligal 45 Replies latest jw friends

• wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

Im thinking of moving to the oil sands in Alberta, mabey make some real money.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I buy cans of beans on sale. That way, I end up with cheap groceries, free gas, and a nice warm bubble bath before bedtime.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I go to the dairy section and they usually have milk, yogurt, eggs and such marked down along with butter and most anything dairy. It usually is the really good brands on its last few days before expiration. So instead of one gallon of milk full of hormones for 5.99, I can get 3 or four gallons. I just have to make sure that I get there at the right times. Yes with all the kids runing around here, I use a lot of milk. I prefer soy, but they drink the regular up!

I also do the same at the juice counter. If you look for the markdown coupons, you can find a buy two for 3.oo bargain on real juice. Then I look for the ones that have 75 cents more off. So I end up with a gallon for 75cents. Of the real juice and not the spoof stuff. I have been baking banana bread with the left over bananas and what not. I like to bake homemade bread and it last longer for it is heavier and usually at the front of our local market, the gourmet items are on clearance. So we get the good stuff really cheap there if we want to try something different.

Then for salt and sugar, I buy in bulk at the Whole Foods. Way less expensive and better for you.

We don't eat red meat anymore and basically if I buy chicken, it is the breast pieces. Stretching it out with a lot of long grain rice and Jasmine that I buy at the Asian Market. You can get really GREAT deals there. Say for instance I want Basil. If I were to buy a pack of fresh at the normal market, it runs up to 3.00. But if I go to the Asian market, it is 50 cents. So we eat a lot of flavorful foods with rice veggies and smaller amounts of chicken. Lots of Lentils and beans. Home made tortillas and seeing things are on the rise, usually you can find the cheese marked down also. So I buy it up and freeze it for quesidillas.

It is a quick dinner and with some turkey bacon in there, the kids love it. (Filling and good for you.) Yes and if we get Salsa that I have not made, I buy the extreme hot, so we use less and stretch it farther.

Roadtrips depend on how many are going. If it is just me, I take the bus if I can. If many are going, I have been weighing out if we need the trip or not.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I just make more money and pay the asked prices. I watched a relative in the mid 70's when energy prices spiked similar to what they are doing now and he worked every Saturday and spare minute he had cutting, stacking, and splitting firewood to save on his heating bills in the winter.

I just worked one Saturday a month with dedication and direction and made enough in that one day to pay my whole heating bill for the whole month.

When gas prices went up in the 70's, my neighbor bought a brand new car on monthly payments that got better mileage. I bought a used but nice 454 Buick Limited with 100k miles on it for cash. Guess who had the cheapest car to operate.

I'm pretty darn loyal to my own rule to live on less than I earn and I don't do debt on depreciating assets. Make $100, spend $50. Never do anything stupid on purpose, there's enough stupid by accident. If I'm in a bad situation, job one is to get out of bad situation. I don't want to know how to adjust and manage the bad situation. I want out . . . now!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I just learned about this today. I know it's all over Ohio, and I'm pretty sure it's nationwide. Check it out:

http://www.greatfoodforall.com/Export1.htm

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

Wouldn't it be loving if the elders organized a program where ones could donate food/cleaning products to the elderly? I know--they have certain rules about this and have contributed in the past to ones that "were in need". It always turned out that the list of "needs" were "wants". The elderly are getting hit hard!!! Terminating the bookstudy on the basis of high gas prices is not enough.

Meow

• milligal
    milligal

Purza-thanks for the bread recipe. My husband tried a foodnetwork recipe for bread dough today actually and, well it didn't turn out. I tried to pretend it did, while I was telling him it was good, dried peices of bread were flying out of my mouth. he said 'you're lying to me, that Mario Batalli is a jerk!'

So we're back to the cutting board on the bread. I think I'll pass your recipe along to my hubby

• StAnn
    StAnn

Jamie, never heard of Greatfoodforall. Around here, it's "angelfoodministries". I've not tried it yet. Yet.

• StAnn
    StAnn
    Never do anything stupid on purpose, there's enough stupid by accident.

GB~Think I'm going to make a cross-stitch sampler out of this saying and put it up on my wall! Great advice for life!

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

Milli, read The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyzyn. She's my hero.

Also, try to grocery shop only once a month. Get the sale paper, note the sales, and plan a month's worth of menus based on what's on sale that week. You'll have to go back later in the month for a few things but not many.

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit