What are you doing to save money on groceries and gas?

by milligal 45 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I am very fortuante and blessed to have a well paying job and before I must be honest that I never gave prices/clothes/going out a second glance. However with all the feul/gas hikes we've had this year (soon to be 8), plus electricity is going up 40% from tomorrow (the last increase was in march of this year of 14%) Plus the interest rate is probably going up at the next MEC meeting. Things are getting a lot tougher.

Food: I'm shopping at the cheaper stores. I stay away from steaks and red meat most of the time - prices here are getting ridiculous. I compare prices of a couple of brands.

Veggies: Fruit & veg city are pretty reasonable plus they produce is fresh - I can only eat fresh, can't stomach frozen.

Gas: Just hooked up with a mate, we're supposed to be doing 2 weeks each in our cars and lift the other - but I'm testing the waters as I think I'm still going to pull the same numbers considering I've got to go a way before I pick him up. Otherwise I just drive a little slow, free wheel if I can (don't know if that works) and if I can walk to the store I do.

Other: I used to be rather lavish, going out to restaurants & paying for mates but 1. Noticed that mates seemed to expect it e v e r y time we went out and wouldn't reach. 2. I'd rather save that money now. 2. I used to take my gran out twice on weekends spending on average R 1 000 as she liked to go to the casion and I'd give her money to play with - it's okay if you're not losing your own money ... so I started cutting down rather drastically on that and told her (very nicely) that she needs to bring cash if she wants to play - that money is going towards my trip overseas.

Debt: Paid off my car - was thinking of getting a new one next year - I'm going to hold off of that - my little car goes very well and there isn't a reason to get rid of it. Credit Cards - I have 2 - are coming down as swiftly - plowing extra monies into that. Just now I'll be getting a R 10 000 tax rebate - I was going to buy a telescope with it but have decided that money can be used to pay off the credit card - freeing up more money later to for my trip.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I always shop for sales, read flyers and try to not buy brand names, local if possible. Combine shopping, banking etc

I use left overs for soups, always have. I don't believe in wasting. I want more bang for my buck.

h40

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

oh my....now your husband and his bread recipe that really is the best...

I'll be smiling when I think about it...well actually laughing....tee hee hee

Cheers!
    hope4others

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I opt for the conveniences of public transport. Because I live in the city I can afford to not have a car.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Less shopping in Waitrose more in Tescos. As far a petrol goes I try to walk most places withion reason.

• Gill
    Gill

Well, first thing we did was sent me out to work. We always aimed to survive only on one wage which gave us help during the last recession as I went back to work full time then and has meant we lived within our means all these years and I have been able to go back to work now. Amazing that this extra money buys NO luxuries, only survival.

Second, we don't use the car unless we really, really, really, really have to.

We've become vegetarian.....everyone, whether we like it or not. NO meat. It's too expensive and totally unnecessary.

No alcohol as it is unnecessary and we can't afford it.

Second hand clothes.....all round.

Books are second hand from Amazon or charity shops.

No fruit juice and only the cheapest fruits if they are on offer.

I bake and no bought biscuits. Eat lots of vegetables and make my own yogurt.

Make sure washing machine is jam packed before we use it.

No going out, no eating out, no extras.....and hope it doesn't get much worse.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    I buy cans of beans on sale. That way, I end up with cheap groceries, free gas, and a nice warm bubble bath before bedtime.

that was just gross and uncalled for....men Both my husband and I work less than a mile from where we live, and we don't work at the same place. We've talked about walking, but never do. When grocery shopping, the menu is usually what is on sale that week, and it's not going to hurt either of us to cut back, a little, ..or alot. I wish...I used more coupons...but I forget. lisa

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't eat out that much anymore. Rice and beans are cheap and a nutritious meal also. As for gas, I now carpool 4 days a weel with my wife so that has cut down on fuel usage a lot.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have the ultimate gas-saving vehicle. A bicycle. I just pedal right by those gas prices.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

I'll second St. Ann's advice about The Tightwad Gazette! I read that book years ago and the hints and tips in there are really money-saving. Just one example is re-using your coffee grounds...

I know it sounds awful, but really you just add half the amount of ground coffee that you would normally put into the basket to the grounds that are already in there from the last pot (when you make your next pot), and you really can't taste the difference but your can of coffee goes that much further. Try it and see! I really should reread that book one of these days...thanks for the reminder, St. Ann!

Anyhow, if the gas keeps going up, I don't know what we'll do. We're already carpooling, reducing trips, checking the air in the tires, given up completely on meeting attendance (huge savings right there!) and our monthly gas bill is still higher...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit