What are you doing to save money on groceries and gas?

by milligal 45 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I don't go out for food.

don't buy pre-made foods in supermarket

don't buy steak or expensive meats

gotta start buying veggies at farmers mkt. supermarket is expensive

• booby
    booby

stopped going to the book study already and didn't travel to the district assembly. I think the GB would be proud of me.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I've become very conscious of how much I drive, and this has led to my consolidating some trips and avoiding others altogether. I used to hop in my car and drive distances of 15-20 miles without a second thought, just to do a little shopping or whatever but now such trips are very rare. I also have been employing some hypermiling techniques such as filling the tank in the morning (cold gasoline is more dense so you get a little more for your money) and immediately letting off the gas completely if there is a red light ahead. It's funny how people race to get to a red light.

I am still spending a lot on food since I don't cook and cooking for one person is next to impossible anyways, d'oh.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

There also ways of using the food that you do buy. Like making breads from bananas and zucchini that is in danger of going bad. And apple pies from over ripe apples.

I can make bread, but can get a loaf for $1.00 at the store.

I also shop at farmers markets and buy in season fruits and veggies. Luckily we have a freezer full of venison, so I don't usually buy meat.

• Purza
    Purza
    Actually we are trying to make our own bread-just to see how it goes.

I have been making my own bread for about a year now. I figure I save about $1.00 per loaf. For us, it is more about the satifaction of making our own food and not adding preservatives and other yucky stuff. I have the easiest recipe ever for "no knead bread". The recipe can be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?ex=1320642000&en=d5976d62a4577548&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

We don't have a big lot, but we have managed to squeeze quite a bit on to it with four fruit trees (apricots are booming right now), and a vegetable and herb box. It is awesome to go into your back yard to get green onions, cilantro or basil. In another month or two we will have plenty of tomatoes and whatever we don't use we make sauce freeze for the winter.

Purza

• sspo
    sspo

Now that my ex wife is gone and live alone,i'm able to put some money in the bank.

No worries about groceries or gas or money given to the Watchtower.

• blondie
    blondie

Save on food

1. Eat less meat

2. Eat more pasta

3. Drink ice tea instead of soda

4. Eat fruits and vegetables in season

5. Pick your own locally and freeze or can

6. Have a garden

7. Buy in bulk if you have a large freezer and the room to store it

8. Shop sales and use coupons

9. Combine shopping trips with other trips nearby

Save on gas:

1. Combine trips

2. Keep tank full not waiting for daily jumps in prices

3. Shop near home

4. Keep car tuned up, good tires and at right psi

• zeroday
    zeroday
    4. Keep car tuned up, good tires and at right psi

BINGO as a truck driver I check my tire pressure (all 18 of them) two to three times a week the most important and least checked thing to increase your fuel mileage...

• yknot
    yknot

Here are my 'tips'...mind you I come from wannabes who feel they lost out by being to young to live on a commune.

Converted autos to CNG, make our own CNG at home (pay applicable tax depending on state).

Make our own electricity and sell the rest to the electric co-op.

Plan out meals a week in advance (maybe more)

Never go to the store hungry or without a list. Have a master pantry staple list and allowance to buy unadvertised sale items

Increased legume consumption

Buy markdown meats/fish (30% off), freeze if not used by expiration.

Use copycat restaurant recipes, some sites charge fees but by cross referencing site you can usually find a complete recipe.

Water besides daily requirements for milk is the main beverage. I do buy drink mixes, tea and coffee.

We have a garden. What we don't use either goes to the worms or to the Farmers Market where we sell or swap the produce & castings/tea.

Our kids are in 4H and the garden activities (among other 4H projects) qualifies them for scholarship programs.

With the money we saved we have replaced older appliances with energy efficient ones plus got govenment rebates back.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

At the grocery store I threaten the cashier, and that will usually knock a few dollars off the bill. At the pump I use my telekenetic powers to adjust the price.

The biggest thing I've done to save on gas and food costs is to brown bag my lunch instead of going out all the time during my lunch hour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit