What are you doing to save money on groceries and gas?

by milligal 45 Replies latest jw friends

• milligal
    milligal

I'm looking for tips. I usually shop at a commissary on a military post, the other day I went to a civillian store and found eggs for $3/dozen, milk $5/gallon and bread $3/loaf! Well even on post it's still expensive. Here's what we're doing to save and I wondered if anyone else had suggestions:

-shop at farmers markets and directly from the farms, local produce, and roadside stands, you can usually get a week's worth of veggies for $10

-I make pitchers of kool-aid (15 cents a packet + sugar) as opposed to buying juice boxes -yes my kids are sugared up but I'm saving money!

-making homemade no-bake cookies (chocolate and oatmeal) or rice krispie squares (rice krispie and cereal and marshmellows) instead of buying out the snack aisle

-only buying sale meats instead of making a meal plan in advance that's too written in stone

As for gas, I'm fresh out of ideas. We don't drive unless we have to, that's about all we can do....any other suggestions?

• Layla33
    Layla33

I only drink water and tea. I have a Brita filter, that works for me.

I have cut down my debt drastically, I am proud of that.

I have limited going out with friends and such to twice a month, unless my rich boyfriend is treating, *smile*.

^^^This is not easy, as I work and live in a community where happy hours and high end restaurants and going to them is the norm after work. After a long day it's very easy to get pulled in to the happy hours and "specials".

NO fast food. Zero, nada, nothing. I am a great cook and I will cook and freeze my food.

There are some really nice second hand stores in my neighborhood and a few miles down. One caters to military types who donate their things as they are moving. I love it, I have found new things there for almost nothing. In fact, a friend and I will spend a Saturday going to the second hand stores and racking up.

I love farmer's markets, I try to get my things from there.

• oompa
    oompa

public transportation (busses) .and carpooling is booming here...even going shopping with a neighbor or two...why take two cars when you can go with a neighbor?........oompa

• zeroday
    zeroday

I bought a motorcycle 3 years ago and get 45 miles per gallon I have saddle bags and can do alot of small errands around town I would have used my car for...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..I ride a Moose into town..I buy in bulk..I bring an Extra moose to pack the groceries..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

We look out for special offers at my local fruit and veg market. Often the specials are too much for just our family to consume, so my sis in law and I shop together and split the contents.

As for petrol (or gas as you say in the US), well all I can do is fill up before my tank is completely empty - that way I fool myself into believing that I am not spending so much on fuel!

• llbh
    llbh

I have a VW diesel and i easily get 45mpg. It has digital air con and can cruise all day at 70 mph or 80 where permitted very comfortably.

I also plan my journeys better so i do fewer miles.

David

• Scully
    Scully

I took away my kid's driving privileges. The deal was: if you drive, replace the gas. That wasn't being done, and I'd be filling up the tank every 3 days, just so I could get to work. I found out that the youngster was driving his girlfriend on errands all over the place with my car and my gas. She'd text him, saying she overslept and needed a ride to work or school or to do errands. I bought a new alarm clock for him to give to her, and wrote down the phone # for a taxi service for her to call. It's not that I don't like her, but I don't appreciate her cavalier attitude toward having a free ride on my dime when she has no gratitude for it.

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

I am a coupon junkie. I have a plastic coupon purse that is kept inside my real purse at all times. We only go to the supermarkets that doubles coupons or the "bag it yourself store".

• milligal
    milligal

hmmm that's all good stuff; anyone make their own bread, buy chickens or fashion soap out of beaswax? I'm kidding. Actually we are trying to make our own bread-just to see how it goes. I'm really searching myself to see what else I could do.....back in the '90's when I was still a witness and hanging out with a bunch of ex-hippy witness gals who had nothing to do with their days but service, we used to try making soap at home, and one sister even tapped maple trees for syrup. It was not due to financial need-more just to fill time but now I am really thinking about these 'hobbies'.

car pooling is a good idea too, lots of soldiers arounf here; all going to the same spot....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit