Dinner guest- When you bring wine shouldn't they offer you some?

by Witness 007 47 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dinner_Party_(Seinfeld_episode)

was an entire episode about bringing wine and cake to a dinner party.

I am sure customs vary but here it is considered polite to bring wine or cake. I have usually served the wine that was brought. I have been a quest and brought wine and had the householder ( ugh they ruined that word for everyone) look at me like i had two heads. I guess they did not get the memo .

• trevor
    trevor

If you have a really good bottle of wine in your hand before you set off to a dinner party, it is advisable to drink it before you leave your house. Then take an average bottle to the dinner party. A couple of miniatures or hip flask secreted about your person as a back up also helps.

Whatever happens after that will not concern you too much. It always works for me. Hic!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I was invited to my wife's jamaican friend familie's bbq.

dad opened a six pack of some island brew.

he offered his friends, but none to me.

I felt like an asshole.

I told my wife, that even if he did not have enough for everyone, then he should not have opened the six pack.

p.s. by the way, even though I have my own wine and beer.......... when someone brings some over, I open theirs first as a jesture of appreciation

• Scully
    Scully

You can always mention the intent of your wine offering when you present it to the host/hostess (say it in front of other guests):

"I hope everyone enjoys this - I brought it along to share at dinner. I can hardly wait to try it!"

Then if it gets put in the cabinet or otherwise hidden away, the host/hostess looks like a dumbass for snubbing your gift.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

AnneB is right. The wine, flowers, whatever, are hostess/host gifts and it's up to the host to decide what to do with it. Maybe they already have flower arrangements in place. Maybe they have picked a wine. Maybe they think opening one bottle of wine for ten people is just not enough. Maybe they just don't want to serve alcohol. It doesn't matter. When someone invites you and cooks for you, just smile nicely and share in the meal they prepared. It seems to me too that communication is in order - you could just say you "brought it for dinner and hope that it goes with the meal." I think a lot of JWs are socially naive. I was and am...but it seems to me a gift should have no strings attached.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I'm sorry, but host (making people feel at home in your home) etiquette would warrant that you open theirs.

if you have wine, then open both.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

You should be like me and tactfully open the bottle and ask who wants. If I got lip, I usually said I was a fussy wine drinker

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was a JW and went to dinner, I usually took a 12 pack and had one open at the door in my hand. Then I would say wheres the fridge and put the rest in and help myself as needed.

In fact I went to dinner with my JW in laws this Friday and thats exactly what I did.

All the dubs I knew where beer and alcohol, they really dont know what to do with wine.

Unless you walk in with a gallon jug and already have a glass in your hand.

• John Doe
    John Doe

What's worse, not serving the wine or remaining quiet about what you're thinking and running and complaining on an internet forum to strangers later. If it were me and I wanted to drink the wine I'd bought, I'd say so. This matter is ridiculous.

• BFD
    BFD

Just bring a bottle that's already open. LOL

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit