Dinner guest- When you bring wine shouldn't they offer you some?

by Witness 007 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Me and wife like to be Polite...since they did invite us into there home....and just bag the crap out of them when we leave...it's more cultured that way. My wife was way less impressed then me....I had some "spares" at home I could open, so wasn't to miffed.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Aaaaah! I apologize for gloating, but my friend, I am so glad I will never ever have another dinner experience with JW's ever again, poor pathetic, untrained palates, no concept of proper decorum, grace, manners or etiquette. The majority have no clue about wine and are like children experimenting with fruit juice.

Mention a bottle over $50 and a french label and watch your average JW cringe and appear befuddled! For any friends still in the borg, I would advise to enjoy life's simple pleasures in private or with real friends.

Too bad!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Yes, when someone brings me a bottle of wine when I have them over, I definately open it. I love trying different wines, and what better way than to share it with the people that brought it. I too have picked out a really nice bottle of wine, something that I think will compliment the meal being served, only to have it whisked away to the cupboard. I really enjoy sharing a bottle with my guests or hosts and discussing it's characteristics over dinner and how it compliments the food being served.

That's just good manners (and enjoyable).

BB

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Yes, they should have shared the wine! If someone brings me wine, it gets opened, and served. If it were more than one bottle, I would have asked the person who bought it which one they would like opened first.

two different Brothers brought out there own "home made" vino instead, which taste like a mixture of fruit punch and vineger! I don't want to know how it was made!

That makes me think of the I love Lucy episode where Lucy is in Italy stomping grapes! That is a classic!

Maybe those "Brothers" made homemade bathtub wine, stomping the grapes with their feet, after a long day of knocking on doors. That might explain the vinegary taste.LOL

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Wow! Post service sweaty feet wine. That'll take the paint off the wall. Maybe I can clean my engine parts with it.

I do enjoy wine but I'm certainly no expert. I just try anything.

Talking about people not in the know about wine. My wife and I were enjoying a nice sushi dinner. A couple sits next to us at the sushi bar and well, they were very familiar with Ebonics. Hey believe me I don't judge but there they were, chomping their gum out loud and having a great time. ok fine.

They order wine, I forgot the Cabernet offered but they received it, took a sip, and then reached into their water glasses and dumped ice into the wine. My wife and I were speechless.

• AnneB
    AnneB

When a guest brings food or drink to a pre-planned meal (not a picnic, pot luck or covered dish dinner) the item is not served with the meal but simply viewed as a gift. The guest's opinion on the matter is moot; they were invited to consume the meal, not contribute toward it.

In other words, if you want to eat/drink a particular thing, do it somewhere else or at another time. When you're invited to someone's house and accept the invitation, eat what's served without thinking about how you would have done it different.

Etiquette-AnneB

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

I wasn't raised as a Witness so having "come out of the world" I noticed that most Witnesses are socially retarded.Even though they might work among the world, they lead a lifestyle that largely restricts them from interactivity with "worldly people", as a result,they don't learn social graces and proper manners.They're a culture to themselves and are backwards in a lot of ways.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Dear Anne B:

I appreciate the precise explanation about the published practices concerning proper dinner etiquette, gifts and how to consider such things. But, in the context of the world of JW's, aren't the written rules of etiquette non-applicable? Supposeldy, the JW's are a family, a brotherhood transcending all boundaries, even those of etiquette.

So, imagine visiting your family for dinner and bringing a favorite wine to share and then have it disappear to probably wind up being "re-gifted" as is the typical JW-thing. What if you were invited for the meal and the meal was only for viewing and observation, but not for consumption? Imagine your feelings. It is the JW's who make policies and write articles in their literature stating they are NOT bound by societal morays, thus, how does proper grooming and etiquette apply to them?

So, if they are a family, then the posts protesting the behavior of the dinner hosts are correct. In my opinion, my house is open door policy to all of my friends who are my family.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If I bring a nice wine (I never bring crap) to dinner or some nice beer, I would consider it the height of TOTAL RUDENESS AND BAD MANNERS, for the host to then NOT offer some.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Some friends to say the least......

I would be disappointed in my kind gesture of bringing wine to the host and it sits in the corner, that's really the purpose is to have it together.

Its a friendship thing, celebrating a good time together.

h4o

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit