What a deal!

by frozen one 76 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    This woman gets discounts because of her race? Is this not racist?

Yeah, I suppose you could view it that way, or you could view it that her ancestors certainly didn't get any discounts and were royally screwed by the european settlers . Or does it not count because its the past? Shit on people who aren't anglo-saxon for centuries and then when the tables turn around a bit, cry how racist it is. Equality is a relatively new concept and a very convienent one to the dwindling anglo-saxon gene pool.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Shit on people who aren't anglo-saxon for centuries and then when the tables turn around a bit, cry how racist it is.

As a non anglo-saxon let me say that what happened then should have no bearing on how people are treated now.

BTS

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

As a non anglo-saxon let me say that what happened then should have no bearing on how people are treated now.

And you are fully entitled to have that opinion. As I am fully entitled not to share it.

Edited to add...IMO that's as fair as saying that someone who sexually molested you as a child, 30 years later should greeted by you, because he told on himself or that you aren't entitled to sue the watchtower for something that happened in the past? The past is the past right? Or is there a timeline on when its ok to say it doesn't matter anymore? Or is it ok to hold a sense of being wronged and want justice in personal cases but not hold ourselves morally responsible to do so as a society for gross injustices specifically targeted towards certain communities in the past, which dramatically altered their ability to thrive and succeed in the future?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    And you are fully entitled to have that opinion. As I am fully entitled not to share it.

Kewl, don't tax me for it either.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    Kewl, don't tax me for it either.

LOL, relax, I'm not the IRS.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    For starters she is a single mom which knocked off a few grand. She is also part, a small part, Native American. Knock off a few more thousand. Her child's father, who is tragically a deadbeat dad, is African American so that knocked off another chunk.

Why would any of those things reduce the price of the house? I can understand why they might reduce the value of her neighbours' houses.....

So African/Native Americans living in a certain neighborhood will automatically cause property values to fall?

Sylvia

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

sweetstuff:

Now we both know that is never going to happen, its as likely as living forever on a paradise earth.

Why couldn't it happen? Even if it may seem unattainable, that does not stop it from being a better system than the one we have now.

So my point was simply this....if her child benefits, good.

And my point was if that's at the expense of another child, bad.

And of course I know there are more than two alternatives, it was an example, I'm not a moron FD. (Waiting for you to jump on that one.)

Of course not. However, you did say that it was better to spend the money this way than in another way, and I don't necessarily disagree. But it's still better not to be spending other people's money in this way at all.

I find it personally grating to hear people bitching in general about this kind of thing, when most of us in developed countries are spoiled friggin rotten and have no bloodly clue what it really means to work your ass off or struggle. At least we have houses, clean water, hospitals. I'd rather worry about much more important things that how someone got a deal "undeservedly" on tax dollars.

Well, sure. We should all be thankful that our lives are so great that we have the free time, the education and the technology to have this debate and I'm sure we all are. But that doesn't stop us wanting to make things even better.

Yeah, I suppose you could view it that way, or you could view it that her ancestors certainly didn't get any discounts and were royally screwed by the european settlers . Or does it not count because its the past? Shit on people who aren't anglo-saxon for centuries and then when the tables turn around a bit, cry how racist it is. Equality is a relatively new concept and a very convienent one to the dwindling anglo-saxon gene pool.

Isn't that the very definition of racism? Rewarding or punishing someone because of their (probable) ancestry. There has to be a statute of limitations on past atrocities or institutionalised racism will simply be perpetuated.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Why did I know that what started as a post commemorating a CHANCE for someone to better their life turned into some racist, conservative-ranting, armchair philosopher piece-of-shit thread? I gave it a 0.01% chance of keeping its main point intact. That may have been too generous. Same cast of characters.

On to other topics. Don't PM.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

snowbird:

So African/Native Americans living in a certain neighborhood will automatically cause property values to fall?

Not automatically. Only if they are there on handouts as the woman in this scenario is. Or possibly if they are perceived as being on handouts. As other people may be due to scenarios like this one. Or of course if potential property buyers are racist which they may be due in part to welfare schemes that benefit people of another race.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Not automatically. Only if they are there on handouts as the woman in this scenario is.

This is a White woman who happens to be of Native American ancestry with a bi-racial (African-American) child who certainly needs a hand-up.

She's given a discount because Native and African Americans were screwed over by the American Government. This may have been some years ago, but a screwing is a screwing - no matter when it happened.

Hasn't the British Government done something similar for the Irish?

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit