What a deal!

by frozen one 76 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

sweetstuff:

So what if she does? Your right, big deal.

What I mean is it's no big deal for her, in a way that taxation is a big deal for someone like me, who pays out more than he gets back.

If more of humanity had a charitable spirit and less of a selfish, what about me one, we'd have a much better society as a whole. IMO

Agreed. Of course, forcing people to fund someone else's lifestyle is not at all the same as people having a charitable spirit. In fact, it's quite the opposite. If people weren't forced to buy houses for someone else, they'd have more disposable income which they could choose to spend on what they consider to be deserving cases. You can't make people charitable by forcibly taking their money away.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    She is also part, a small part, Native American. Knock off a few more thousand. Her child's father, who is tragically a deadbeat dad, is African American so that knocked off another chunk.

If this was a private owner doing it voluntairly based on their own ideas, I would not take issue. I can sell my house to whoever I want based on any criterion I choose. If I choose to sell exclusively to gay asian club-footed mormons, it is my business. But from the OP it appears that this is a government org. That is screwed up and discriminatory.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

sweetstuff:

Did she steal your purse Derek? I mean, sounds like she took money directly from you.

No, not even indirectly from me. But the money was taken from others just so she could have an easier ride.

So, you equate theft as in the same category as government grants?

It's money taken from a person who earned it and given to someone who did not.

Ok, let me ask you this, if your child needed medical care and government funding could provide it, would you turn it down, because you are "stealing" from the other taxpayers???

Of course not. I would prioritise the needs of my child. My complaint is not against those who incidentally benefit from the system, but rather against the system itself.

She didn't commit a frigging crime buddy, she works, she isn't a charity case, she got cut a break, due to a number of circumstances, whoopie.

Well, she is a charity case. Somebody has deemed her to be in need of charity and has provided it for her in the form of a five-figure discount on a home. Nothing wrong with that, except that the money effectively given to her was not charity money but tax money, money that someone else earned to provide for their own family, which money was taken from them to provide for this woman.

Agreed. Of course, forcing people to fund someone else's lifestyle is not at all the same as people having a charitable spirit. In fact, it's quite the opposite. If people weren't forced to buy houses for someone else, they'd have more disposable income which they could choose to spend on what they consider to be deserving cases. You can't make people charitable by forcibly taking their money away.

Amen FD, Amen. Edit: Hey, I hear you Irish saved western civ by voting against the EU. Good show. BTS

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Agreed.

However, you can't dictate how the government choses to use your tax dollars any more than you can dictate to a person who just bought your car how he should drive it or who he is allowed to resell it to. You are bound by law to pay your taxes. If you don't the government will get ya, so would you prefer your tax dollars to go towards helping those who are perhaps a bit less fortunate or towards weapons. I'd personally be happier to see my hard earned money help someone else within my own country have a better chance of making it, versus it being used toward a bomb that will kill innocent people in another country in the name of political agenda.

Just an example of how people chose to bitch about "Oh I am supporting so and so with my taxdollars", yet you don't hear them out on the streets proclaiming, "Oh, my taxdollars just killed 3 children in Iraq, its just wrong and I won't take it". No one gives a rat's ass it seems, about the latter. If they truly did, the would boycott paying their taxes in mass) But someone's life being BETTER because of tax dollars is a crying freaking shame isn't it? It reminds me of a child sooking cause their sibling got a bigger piece of the candy they bought together at the store.

How many tax dollars in the U.S. are really used towards social programs and medical programs compared to other countries of similar economic standing? MUCH LESS, check the numbers. How much more is used by the U.S. towards military funding, government funding and "homeland security"? ALOT more. So perhaps instead of bitching about the very few who are positively helped due to tax dollars (god forbid!), bitching about the government's priorities in budget would be more appropriate. IMO

• dawg
    dawg

I agree with the Government subsidizing this woman about as much as I agree with them subsidizing and bailing out businesses that fail... remember Bush 1 and the Savings and Loan scandals? And now Bush 2 allowing oil companies to help shape energy policies 8 years ago and receiving billions in tax breaks?

I'll all end as soon as we decide to be Americans rather than Democrats and Republicans.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

sweetstuff:

However, you can't dictate how the government choses to use your tax dollars any more than you can dictate to a person who just bought your car how he should drive it or who he is allowed to resell it to.

That's not at all the same thing. It's more like your car has been stolen, or at least commandeered against your wishes.

You are bound by law to pay your taxes. If you don't the government will get ya,

Agreed, the money is taken by force.

so would you prefer your tax dollars to go towards helping those who are perhaps a bit less fortunate or towards weapons.

Defense is a legitimate and necessary function of government. Charity is not,

I'd personally be happier to see my hard earned money help someone else within my own country have a better chance of making it, versus it being used toward a bomb that will kill innocent people in another country in the name of political agenda.

Those aren't the only choices available. Disagreeing with one does not mean defaulting to the other.

Just an example of how people chose to bitch about "Oh I am supporting so and so with my taxdollars", yet you don't hear them out on the streets proclaiming, "Oh, my taxdollars just killed 3 children in Iraq, its just wrong and I won't take it". No one gives a rat's ass it seems, about the latter.

What are you talking about? There have been protests against the war since it began. There is a huge and vocal anti-war lobby.

If they truly did, the would boycott paying their taxes in mass)

Unfortunately, the punishments for doing so are so severe that only the most staunchly principled people would even consider it.

But someone's life being BETTER because of tax dollars is a crying freaking shame isn't it?

Someone's life being better at the expense of someone else's life being worse is a shame, especially when the person who suffers is the one who worked hard for a better life.

It reminds me of a child sooking cause their sibling got a bigger piece of the candy they bought together at the store.

No, it's more like candy being taken from the child who bought it and being given to a child who has already eaten their candy.

How many tax dollars in the U.S. are really used towards social programs and medical programs compared to other countries of similar economic standing? MUCH LESS, check the numbers. How much more is used by the U.S. towards military funding, government funding and "homeland security"? ALOT more. So perhaps instead of bitching about the very few who are positively helped due to tax dollars (god forbid!), bitching about the government's priorities in budget would be more appropriate. IMO

Again, there are more than two alternatives. I am not suggesting that the money used to buy this woman a house should have been used to buy another cluster bomb instead. What if, instead, the money had been left in the hands of those who earned it to use as they saw fit? Wouldn't that be better for everyone (except the moochers, of course)?

• changeling
    changeling

Good for her! I hope this "leg up" will be what she needs to stabilize her life. Somewhere down the line, perhaps she will contribute in some way to help another family in need.

What goes around, comes around.

changeling :)

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

What if, instead, the money had been left in the hands of those who earned it to use as they saw fit? Wouldn't that be better for everyone (except the moochers, of course)?

Now we both know that is never going to happen, its as likely as living forever on a paradise earth. So my point was simply this....if her child benefits, good. And of course I know there are more than two alternatives, it was an example, I'm not a moron FD. (Waiting for you to jump on that one.)

I find it personally grating to hear people bitching in general about this kind of thing, when most of us in developed countries are spoiled friggin rotten and have no bloodly clue what it really means to work your ass off or struggle. At least we have houses, clean water, hospitals. I'd rather worry about much more important things that how someone got a deal "undeservedly" on tax dollars.

• John Doe
    John Doe

This woman gets discounts because of her race? Is this not racist?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    This woman gets discounts because of her race? Is this not racist?

If she only had a couple more minority ethnicities in her lineage she could have gotten the place for free! BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit