What a deal!

by frozen one 76 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Please don't lecture me about "getting over it already," Burn. Most of us have ostensibly done that. You show me any other group that has come so far with so little, and I'll show you a Hispanic on the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses!

Samuel Herd is black isn't he?

But seriously Snow. What should I think? Here in my area there are Haitians and dark skinned native descended Mexicans. They come here empty handed, and at the end of 10 years a lot of them have big fancy new homes, nice new cars, and their kids are all lined up in their best to go to church on Sundays. Nicest house on my street is Haitians, and my old neighbors were Haitian too. 5 kids and a good father. I think the problem is mental, and also the welfare state. The black family was in good shape until the government started being daddy.

BTS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

'....in a way that taxation is a big deal for someone like me, who pays out more than he gets back."

I'm curious what you mean by this? Do you mean in essence "pays" out a number of rectangular paper bills and jangly coins and then gets fewer rectangular paper bills and jangly coins back, or do you use some other metric that assigns value beyond literal bills and coins?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"The black family was in good shape until the government started being daddy."

Stupidest words ever written in the history of language.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Samuel Herd is black isn't he?

But seriously Snow. What should I think? Here in my area there are Haitians and dark skinned native descended Mexicans. They come here empty handed, and at the end of 10 years a lot of them have big fancy new homes, nice new cars, and their kids are all lined up in their best to go to church on Sundays. Nicest house on my street is Haitians, and my old neighbors were Haitian too. 5 kids and a good father. I think the problem is mental, and also the welfare state. The black family was in good shape until the government started being daddy.

BTS

Yeah (grudgingly), Herd is the Token Negro.

You're right, the problem is much more complicated than black and white. I often lament the fact that the welfare program has made many of us fat, lazy, greedy, and careless.

However, to tar all Black people with the same brush is to diminish the efforts of those whose heroic efforts brought us to where we are.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    However, to tar all Black people with the same brush is to diminish the efforts of those whose heroic efforts brought us to where we are.

I am sorry I gave that impression, there are too many great Blacks in this country to brush like that. I think all of us identify with what your people went through.

I remember when I first saw the movie Amistad and Sengbe broke out of the hold and slaughtered his captors. He was everyman there. I was him.

BTS

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

::Oh noes, a poor, historically disadvantaged person got something that I didn't get!! Only rich people should have advantage and, god forbid, leverage (I know because they told me so).::

*Sometimes* the rich are rich because they work hard.
    *Sometimes* the poor are poor even though they work hard.
    *Always* someone is middle class because they work.

BUT

*Sometimes* the poor are poor for being lazy, squandering life's chances and making poor choices. *Some* thought it was fun to screw off in school, drink, smoke and take drugs. *Some* had fun and got pregnant.

Now they are "poor" and are getting hand outs. Do I *have* to always like it?

WHEN

Do the middle class get some breaks and handouts for being responsible, hard working and carrying the load?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hey 6of9

Eat me.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Why do people get so defensive and attack personally when defending racism?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why do people get so defensive and attack personally when defending racism?

I don't know, but my response is to being called stupid without any logical response to my assertion in any way. BTS

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I'm happy for the girl she is So Lucky, I don' think she knows what she got. There are a lot of people out there that would

appreciate the great deal and be grateful for it. California bedrooms are $525. and up, in a house with 6 people to share with

strangers. To rent a house $2000. and up. I hope she wakes up and see what she got.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit