Did you skip the meeting to watch the superbowl ?

by av8orntexas 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I often sacrifice seeing my favorite elders make a fool out of themselves at the meetings(parroting wt bs from the stage) so I can stay home and watch football! The football gods are like jehober. Sometimes they bless you and other times they curse you and you don't even know why.

So, because of my sacrifice, often I'm blessed with a really good game to watch. Of course, in the big picture, a football game doesn't really matter but it's so much more meaningful than a pubic talk followed by the wt indoctrination!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Miss a meeting for the superbowl...?  I would miss meetings for regular season games and that was when i was a believer ;) 
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    As an aside, its hard to take cries of "oh football is boaring compared to soccer " when an "exciting" soccer game ends in a score of 3-2
  • cofty
    cofty
    Morpheus - The excitement of a good football match is about 90 minutes of almost continuous, dynamic, unpredictable action. The end-to-end attack and instant counter-attack. The goals are just the highlights. 3-2 is a high-scoring game.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol coffy, im just giving my soccer loving friends a hard way to go.  Intellectually i understand the draw of soccer and i have enjoyed watching a few matches (when the usa plays in the world cup) but i havent found it interesting enough to hold me long term. I think simon said it well when he said "those who have grown up watching soccer"... Its what we as individuals are accostomed to.  American baseball was the worlds dullest sport to me until i learned the ins and outs and i susspect i would feel the same about soccer.

As i say, im  just fanning the flames in a good natured way ;)

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Just saying that if Soccer (a.k.a. Original Football) was scored like our American Football, a 3-2 score would really be 21-14. That's a frequent American football score.
  • under the radar
    under the radar

Personally, I'd miss a meeting just to celebrate free air.  Go ahead, breath all you want!

Actually, I haven't been to a meeting in over 14 years, and will never go to another.  Ok, I'll make an exception for a funeral or two, but that's it.  Regardless, and thanks to Simon and this site, I'm more informed and up-to-date on current JW goings-on and beliefs du jour than most any of my JW relatives.  Not only can they not explain or defend all the New Light™, they are not really up on all the latest changes.  They don't even know what they're supposed to be ready to die for.  If I happen to mention any of the new stuff, they are immediately suspicious that I might be putting out "apostate lies," when that very thing was in the Watchtower several issues back.   Go figure...

Anyway, back to the Super Bowl.  I thought this particular one was great.  It was exciting right down to the very last minute.  I live in NH, so of course I'm a Patriots fan.  Go Pats!  I thought we had lost, and was disappointed and resigned to accept this when the two minute warning came.  Then they pulled it out of the fire!  Man, what a turn-around!

Once again, it proves the old maxim that any team can beat any other team on a given day.  And that "It ain't over till it's over!"  I'd much rather watch my team lose a very close game where the outcome is unknowable till the very end than one where my team totally blows out the other.  What's the fun in that?

Both teams in this Super Bowl can be proud of their performance.  It could easily have gone either way.  And that's what made this Super Bowl so dang exciting.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Not exactly true cappytan.  In football there are five different ways to score and each has its own point value:

the touchdown, the most desirable where the ball is advanced into the endzone dduring regluar play  6 points

then there is a "point after attempt" following a touch down.  If the ball is kicked and the kick goes through the goal posts, 1 point is awarded.  If the ball is advanced into the end zone via any other means (a run or a legal pass ), 2 points are awarded

A field goal is when is a kick attempt made when a team has regular possesion of the ball (meaning not a point after attempt) and if made 3 poimts are awarded.

lastly a play called a "saftey" is worth 2 points.  A safety is basically when the team on def downs the ball in the offensensess end zone. 

So not quiet so cut and dry as "21-24" ;)  

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit