Did you skip the meeting to watch the superbowl ?

by av8orntexas 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I know we must have alot ofpeople on here huge football fans like myself. Born and raised in Boston, I am a HUGE sports fan, and of course Patriots fan. So anyone here go to another meeting, makeup some BS excuse, illness, flat out miss the meeting or anything else to watch game if your meeting happened to go from the 9am to the 3pm in January ?

The only superbowl I ever mised was in 1998 with Falcons and Broncos. Other than that, it was something with me. Sick, gotta work overtime, go to another meeting, EVEN if i had to carry the mikes, book/magazines. If there was one thing about the Org, it was constantly in the way of my beloved Football.

Ahhh how strong was your faith ?????

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I don't know about the superbowl. But i remember when England were playing Argentina in the world cup on a Tuesday night many years back. It was a classic match and there's always tension between the two teams, because of the history between our countries. I never went to the meeting and apparently as soon as the prayer was finished many rushed out to catch the second half. Funny thing is though that all the action happened in the first half.

Paul

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

we would just leave town and go to Vegas for Super Bowl

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I never lived in a time zone that would make a meeting conflict with the broadcast.

Have I missed a Superbowel? Yep... usually the most boring game of the year. Pro Football ... take it or leave it.

Hill

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Naw, watching sports on TV is right up there with going to meetings on my todo list.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I didn't usually watch the Superbowl, because the score would show up in the next day's newspaper. However, I still skip the boasting session. (Of course, back when I was in, I didn't skip it.)

• Robert7
    Robert7

I did, but went to the morning meeting. I never understood why in general it's ok to go to a morning meeting if you know you will miss your own meeting, but on Super Bowl Sunday it was frowned upon.

• blondie
    blondie

I thought the superbowl was in the early evening. How many congregations have meetings then?

The game (Super Bowl XII, the first Super Bowl to be played in prime time, was broadcast in the United States by CBS with play-by-play announcerPat Summerall and color commentatorTom Brookshier. The game kicked off just after 5 p.m. Central Standard Time, the latest kickoff in Super Bowl history up to that point.
    The standard starting time for Super Bowls since Super Bowl XXV has been just after 6 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (5 p.m. CST, 4 p.m. Mountain Standard Time, 3 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.)
  • rocketman
    rocketman

Prior to Super Bowl 12, Super Bowls were afternoon events. I missed the first half of Super Bowl 7 and in fact only recently caught it on NFL Network. My brother, a Colts fan, missed a good chunk of Super Bowl III because of a meeting. One thing that still irks me is that I missed the NFC Championship Game between the Buccaneers and Rams in 2000 due to an elders meeting. The stupid elders actually picked that date and time for a meeting. Not exactly an aware group of football fans, that's for sure. Another time, I missed the AFC Championship Game between Denver and Pittsburgh (1999) because of attending elders' school. I'm still peeved about that one too.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

Blondie, while the superbowl is usually in the evening an 5pm-530 start, I've in my time in the truth somehow managed to get sunday meetings at 6pm, 730pm and 4pm, at one point our hall had an evening meeting two years in a row because we had a new spanish congregation and the brothers felt it be fair to allow them to have the morning slot. Here in Texas, and large places like Cali, I've seen all kinds of time and meeting days Satuday schools/public talks....at 730 !!! an old girlfriend in Cali actually had an Saturday Watchtower....talk about cramping my weekend visit...I don't know how that kept uch high numbers....

Robert7....ditto, I noticed that myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit