Do you ever think of going back to a meeting?

by digderidoo 43 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Ok this is for all of you who don't attend anymore.

I had a friend come over last night. We've been best mates since we were kids, he was brought up in the ' truth ', but left a number of years ago. We talk about just everything. We go back a long way, so can relate to WT issues, whereas i can't with other friends.

We spoke last night about how time to time we still think about attending a meeting. It came as a shock to me that he stills holds JW core beliefs, even though he hasn't been for about 8 years. His lifestyle is so different to the JW, so this he said is one thing that holds him back from going, because he would have to change such a lot.

As for myself, i related how even though i have issues with some core beliefs, it's weird how from time to time i do admit that i think about attending a meeting. It's as though the JW in me is still there somewhere. Even though i left 12 years ago, since that time i partied too hard to care, so it's only now that i am looking at the issues and reasons as to why i left and why i don't attend anymore.

Now i don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of going back. If and it's a big IF i did, i know i have a vast array of knowledge that i can base the pro's and cons of it on.

It came as a bit of a shock to me when my mate said that he thinks from time to time about going back and i just wondered whether this is normal for an ex jw? Or is it just me and my mate?

So without bashing the WT, because i can do that as well as the next person, do you ever think of going back to a meeting?

Paul

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Are you freakin' crazy?

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    Are you freakin' crazy?

LOL, i knew someone would say that, but didn't think it would be so quick

Paul

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

If I ever have the urge to go to a meeting it is only for 2 reasons.

1. disrupt it

2. undercover for some purpose.

I find the JW meetings to be the most boring tripe around.

• snowbird
    snowbird

NO.

Sylvia

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I do actually. Just for the familiarity of it all. But I won't do it. I'd have to listen to all the sh*t I don't believe anymore!

momz

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Once the blinders were off, I found the meetings to be boring and logically flawed.
    The information infuriated me more than anything else, so going back to attend
    would be aweful. I see no point in it.

I could suffer through a meeting, as I did with the Memorial (for the last time).
    I suppose social people might enjoy seeing old friends, but none of the dubs in
    my local congregation have called me, so they are not old friends.

I listened to Gerrit Losch's talk at the DC on a download from a JWD poster.
    I found the whole thing infantile and I was infuriated that there was no scriptural
    support for any suppositions made. I could only suffer through it because I was
    checking email or reading JWD at the same time.

If there is still a JW inside, start doing some research on your issues. Don't confuse
    good people with the religion. The hall is full of good people, but the religion is
    whacked.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I do actually. Just for the familiarity of it all. But I won't do it. I'd have to listen to all the sh*t I don't believe anymore!

momz

Thank you momz! Then it aint just me

Paul

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Funny though, I can't stand to even open the literature!

• Satanus
    Satanus

As long as the doctrines remain undiffused, there is a chance of going back. They are like a time bomb. Your friend needs to deprogramme, to undo each of those core doctrines, in order to have real freedom.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit