Natural gas BBQ

by besty 52 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    By the way, if you're not grilling or BBQing with wood or charcoal, you're not BBQing. If you wanna cook with gas, just stick to the stove in the house.

You don't know what you're talking about. Cooking in the kitchen is far removed from grilling with gas. I'll guarantee you could not tell the difference in taste.

• amicus
    amicus

As an old timer here I reserve the right to occasionally leave the Land of Lurk(ers) and follow the old e-net maxim, "Any thread worth reading is a thread worth hijacking"(TM).

Your well intentioned plea

*ok guys this thread is not called 'Gas v Coals - discuss'*

is not without merit, but the gravity of the subject demands that it be respectfully overlooked.

Sheesh, after all we are talking BAR-B-QUE here!

There is some very good subject matter here, honorable mention goes to:

*Sorry Paul but if it isn't using charcoal it isn't a barbecue, just an outdoor hob.

I got an old Mobil Oil drum, split it with an angle grinder and hinged the two halves. I bolted them to two old cast iron bench ends and customised some old grills to fit. (£10 to a local welder)

It doesn't just look great it cooks FANTASTIC! I have barbecued half a dozen chickens at the same time with room to spare. When all my family come round there can be almost 30 people in my garden and this beauty copes with no problem. With the top half down I can smoke fish or hams, hell I can cook a small pig on a spit!

Maybe it's the Greek in me but I just don't get cooking on gas outdoors.

Gia sou Paul!*

This gem really brings it all home though,

*Grilling is sacred here in Texas, double that here in extreme south Texas. The first thing a man does after work is start the grill. The construction site has a grill. The factory has a grill out back. The car repair shop has a grill.

It is never gas. A gas grill is simply a kitchen stove moved outside.

It is always fired by wood. Mesquite here in south Texas. In other parts of Texas, maybe oak or pecan. Wood imparts the flavor. Propane has no flavor.

Use the propane orifice to fire up some beans or seasonally to fry turkey in peanut oil. Do not connect it to some sort of fancy-dancy stainless steel Home Depot BBQ box. Nothing edible can come from that.

Smokin' Joes in Oklahoma sells real grills. Or come down here to the border where old hot water and propane tanks are carefully cut in half, layed horizontal and turned into the same. My homemade grill came with rubber tires, a smoke stack, grates, two wooden shelves, and metal beer holders for $100. It does a brisket in short order that can be cut with a fork.

tms*

I personally use my 8-old made in the USA "Char-Griller". I opt to use wood rather than charcoal and stick to oak, apricot, apple, plum or cherry from trees in my yard. Any hard wood I've tried does the job, some add more flavor than others, but all hardwoods can deliver steady heat without too much smoke or high flame.

A purist would make their own charcoal from the hardwood, Carribean Bar-B-Que style. But I just worship at the altar of Bar-B-Que, I make no claims to being a high priest. I must make mention that a true devotee will always attempt to wear cut-offs, be barefoot and have a beer in hand while performing this sacred act. In Bar-B-Que the three AAA's (Attitude, Aptitude, Attire) matter!

Now, having dispensed with the most important aspects of Bar-B-Que, I can respectfully return to your thread.

As an old So Cal native, San Fernando Valley to be specific, I understand your dilemma. With limited space and natural gas readily available, gas might be the prudent choice. My lil Bro who still is a "Valley Boy", can do some pretty decent chicken on his gas grill. I would suggest buying any (made in the USA, *cough, cough*) mid priced grill from Costco, Lowes or Home Depot, etc. It should give you many years of service. Eventually you can just trash it when you finally meet that gas grill that steals your heart away. The important thing when approaching the Bar-B-Que altar is to realize that this is a time honored tradition that isn't to be taken lightly. Approach slowly, with reverence and the ancient cooking God/Goddesses with bless you.

amicus

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I personally would buy two grills. A Weber kettle charcoal powered with added mesquite woood etc. - I am traditional. But, for convenience why not buy a gas powered grill too.?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Real men use a MAPP gas plumbing torch attached to the CNC operated carriage of an engine lathe.

• amicus
    amicus

Hrmmm, I'm a bit rusty here and I can't seem to find the "edit" button...

I feel compelled to state out of respect for all my old and perhaps some of my new "international" friends here, my "made in the usa" comments have nothing to do with my bias towards the quality of goods in regards to their country of origin.

It has everything to do with my belief that today we should, as a general rule, strive to "Think globally and purchase locally".

ami

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

ever the gentleman. Good to "see" you Amicus. Hope you're doing well.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am with BTS on this one:

I can justify buying a new one every couple of years.

Charcoal is simple and tastes better. It may not be as convenient
    as the "stove moved outside." What's so hard about buying charcoal
    and storing it for awhile?

My grill was recently stolen out of the yard. Idiots. It was time for
    a new one anyway. Now I have to lock it up because they will look for
    the new one. I will get the hibatchi this time. I had a weber, but it's too
    big to squeeze into the garage.

• Evidently
    Evidently
    I personally would buy two grills. A Weber kettle charcoal powered with added mesquite woood etc. - I am traditional. But, for convenience why not buy a gas powered grill too.?

I own 2 grills, gas and charcoal. I use the gas grill 95% of the time, because I'm in a hurry, out of charcoal, or am only cooking for 2. Nobody's talked about smokers......ever smoke a turkey for 10 hours with hickory chips???? Now thats GOOD...

• bobld
    bobld

oompa you kill me with your ideas

B

• besty
    besty

Hmmm. seems this topic got more intense than I planned.

I can see arguments for both sides in the gas v coals debate. Add in some smokin' v grillin' theology and there is the basis for a new endtimes religion right there.

Tonight I had a propane steak (so to speak) and man it was good. Cooked to perfection 5 minutes each side on a Weber with TasteTheFlavor burners or something...Frank you are a star cookperson.

So when all has been said I will get a gas grill and you are all welcome....

Now wheres that Romeo y Juliet.....Dagney you naughty girl.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit