Natural gas BBQ

by besty 52 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

"ok guys this thread is not called 'Gas v Coals - discuss'"

I'm sure you can go back and edit that oversight if you wish. . . ;-)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I have to leave for work now but I am so coming back to this thread!

;-)

• besty
    besty

Hey Nic

I agree with you on cooking with coals but a few factors made me go to the 'dark' side:

1 - grilling in SoCal is an everyday thing so coals, whilst fine for 'planned' events, become a pain in the ass if you are wanting to use the grill very frequently - (keeping stock of them and waiting for the heat)

2 - we don't have a lot of outdoor storage here so coals would be one more thing to take care of

3 - there is an existing gas pipe right where we would have the grill - seems rude not to use it

• TMS
    TMS

Grilling is sacred here in Texas, double that here in extreme south Texas. The first thing a man does after work is start the grill. The construction site has a grill. The factory has a grill out back. The car repair shop has a grill.

It is never gas. A gas grill is simply a kitchen stove moved outside.

It is always fired by wood. Mesquite here in south Texas. In other parts of Texas, maybe oak or pecan. Wood imparts the flavor. Propane has no flavor.

Use the propane orifice to fire up some beans or seasonally to fry turkey in peanut oil. Do not connect it to some sort of fancy-dancy stainless steel Home Depot BBQ box. Nothing edible can come from that.

Smokin' Joes in Oklahoma sells real grills. Or come down here to the border where old hot water and propane tanks are carefully cut in half, layed horizontal and turned into the same. My homemade grill came with rubber tires, a smoke stack, grates, two wooden shelves, and metal beer holders for $100. It does a brisket in short order that can be cut with a fork.

tms

• besty
    besty

TMS meet Nicoloau, Nicolau meet TMS

I hear what you are saying TMS - is there a grill you know of I can buy from a store that would be an alternative to recycling oil barrels and assuming I don't have any welding kits, smokestacks or rubber tires?

• oompa
    oompa

The caveman in me prefers wood or coal fire cooking....the reality in me says I like to grill so much and often that you have to learn to trick the gas into thinking it is wood or coal. I have done this....patent pending......................oompa

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I hear what you are saying TMS - is there a grill you know of I can buy from a store that would be an alternative to recycling oil barrels and assuming I don't have any welding kits, smokestacks or rubber tires?

If you have a shovel.. and some basic skills you can cook in the ground. Back in the day...(pre suburbia) we used to do whole hogs and half-beefs over coals in the ground.

Can we say 'chuckwagon'?

Hill

• Gregor
    Gregor

Seriously, I like the new grills that don't have a hood so you can face your guests while cooking. In the US some of the big home improvemnet chains have many types on display. One model I like has a canopy, handy side burners and a warming compartment. Prices are not bad either.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Can you smoke meat on a gas grill? Just asking

Josie ~ *whispers* I prefer charcoal too

• james_woods
    james_woods

I have a simple question about charcoaling in India (where they worship the Cow as a sacred beast).

In Texas, as has been mentioned, wood charcoal is used to impart flavor - mesquite, hickory, etc...

In India, if you are charcoaling on Cow Chips, does this mean that you are trying to impart this as a flavor?

If that were the case, then perhaps Natural Gas or Propane (which I never use as I am a loyal charcoal man) - might be a better option.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit