Natural gas BBQ

by besty 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Robert7
    Robert7
    I'd recommend a Weber. http://www.weber.com/

... they're made in the USA if that's important to you.

Interesting story here... My dad works for Weber in the Chicago suburbs. Yes, Webers are made in the USA, but under cost pressure they moved production of their low-end gas grills to China. Well, there have been too many issues with quality control and shipping times, that they are moving ALL of that back to the US! So here's a success story of manufacturing returning to the USA!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If you have gas in the yard

I bet you could put a gas burner in an enclosure of sorts... pressure treated wood, artificial stone...If you are handy you might get out for a grand. I could see sorta a classic "brick" BBQ built like that... using wood and artificial masonary products you would elimitate the cost of foundations.

Look at some of those 'fake" fireplaces (with gas logs) and you will see what I am getting at... they look at some buit in BBQ rigs...adapt!

<gas>

Hill

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This is probably offtopic but I buy cheap BBQ's. Even the more expensive ones seem to need repair after a couple of years (I cook outdoors a lot).

I can justify buying a new one every couple of years. It costs the same as repairing a $1000 grill and I get a crisp clean machine for the next couple of years instead.

Just my 2c.

Of course, real men do it like this:

http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I bet you could put a gas burner in an enclosure of sorts... pressure treated wood, artificial stone...If you are handy you might get out for a grand.

I think that is the way to go. You can replace the heating elements and the grill as they rust out. But I think you can easily build something out of crete or brick for less than a grand--unless you want something real fancy.

That said, I agree with what the other posters here say re propane vs a real charcoal/wood fire. No comparison. But there is a lot more work involved with the latter.

BTS

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Anyone can BBQ

REAL men and women have a BRAAI!

burn baby burn

Pine twigs get the charcoal started.

aroma pleases the gods

The meat sizzles.

Braai by Kurt, ya'll come!

This is so worth it! See you at the next braai....

• Gregor
    Gregor

If you are considering a home made unit, just remember that with a gas bbq you really don't cook with direct heat from the flame. Not hot enough. You need a metal or ceramic medium to create infrared radiant heat. I don't think the fake fireplace logs are a good idea, too uneven and after a couple of cook outs they will be gunked up.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    If you are considering a home made unit, just remember that with a gas bbq you really don't cook with direct heat from the flame. Not hot enough. You need a metal or ceramic medium to create infrared radiant heat. I don't think the fake fireplace logs are a good idea, too uneven and after a couple of cook outs they will be gunked up.

Gregor... I have been in several upscale places that had gas or LP units that were made to be built in. They had ceramic inserts etc.

You are right... trying to use a gas log or space heater or whatever would not work very well at all

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've used charcoal and I've used propane. Propane is much easier, quicker, more reliable, and the temperature is easy to control. I find no difference in flavor. When I want wood flavor, I use a smoker box. I suspect those who say that gas can't compete simply don't know how to properly cook with gas.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I have to go with Kurt on this one because braais are the way to go. I could never do gas, might as well cook on the stove.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Not to get in the middle of the Gas vs. Charcoal/Wood debate, but I like to use the best of both.

Personally, I don't like the stainless steel grills because I tend to be lazy and not clean them immediately. The stainless steel (to me) doesn't offer the utility that a good black gas grill offers. Maybe not as pretty, but more "forgiving" when you forget to wipe off a spot.

We bought one from Home Depot about 3 years ago for $400 with triple inside shelves, twin side burners and have been very happy with it. If it wears out in a few more years, we could scrap it, buy a new one, and still come out ahead.

Regarding the flavor, we have a small iron box that we sit on top of the burners. It's basically a box the size of a thick book with a removable lid and lots of holes. We soak the wood chips in water for a half hour and then load the box with the chips. You get the wood flavor but with the control of the gas heat. And it's easy to just empty the ashes out of the iron box. Plus, you don't have to clean it since it's just going to get more wood chips in it the next time!

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit