Did you find worldly people as bad as the JW's made them out to be??

by karter 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

"as bad"? With respect, I don't think the question is a valid one. People do not have a degree of badness because they are not JW's. There are good and bad people everywhere.

The only person in my life (apart from those here at JWD, of course) who can come anywhere near to understanding me is "a worldly person". And the world can be a great place - I've met several nice people in my area.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I think people on the outside are much more honest. I say this because a person outside the JWs is just who they appear to be. Whether that person is good or bad, or at least appears to you to be good or bad, they are who they are. A person inside the org is fundamentally no different than the person they would be outside the organization, except they wrap themselves in a disguise of religious piety which is designed to have everyone else believe they are all inherently good, or at least better than people who don't wear the cloak of religion. Lots of bad people shroud themselves in a protective layer of religion to diffuse suspicion about their true personality or intentions. The BTK killer was one of those people. Dennis Rader not only was a local law enforcement officer, but he was an official in his church for years. As far as anybody knew, Dennis Rader was a fine, upstanding, church-going, God-fearing man. Appearances are often deceiving.

• reniaa
    reniaa

YES! This is a difficult one because while people can be kind a generous as any human can be but I find big issues as encouraged by current governments/religions allow for a lot of coldness.

its not the little kindnesses but what general forms of treatment are encouraged.

My son is disabled and atm I can only get carers that a fully qualified police checked etc and that means no-one will touch him being afraid i will prosecute if something goes wrong, my carer has a list of things she is not allowed to do with my son inc no trampolines, no bouncy castles, no swimming, and the list goes on, the world is litigation mad.

lol anyone who thinks Jw's are strict have never had to deal with social services! I just had a commitee meeting last week to assess my son. With 2 social workers he has and a outside assessor everytime I bought up a worry my social workers shot my words down saying I was coping well, I have these meeting twice a year and everytime i'm treating like the idiot mother thats doesn't know what she is talking about and should be humoured, You may not believe listening to me on here but when faced with these meetings I do become a gibbering idiot. a Jc would be a walk in the park in comparison. (I have no choice but to do these meeting if I want carers to give me breaks and help me as main carer of my son its all part of the govermental machine)

As most know from my original post my ex-partner who is in a nice lovey pentacostal faith had no problem leaving me pregnant to bring our child up alone, by saying "jesus forgives me" to himself.

These days I am just sadly accepting of the status quo, yes people are kind but they do it once and pat themselves on the head then walk away, and if I ask non-JW family to much for help they say "I have a life I shouldn't be using it all up on you" Definitely personal gratification is the name of the day.

• misguided
    misguided

Definately NOT! This was one of the things that began my doubts.

When my JW husband left us days before our 5th baby was born, our oldest being 5 1/2 at the time, and moved in with a girl from his work...who did the elders blame for this? ME! Did anyone come to help me from the hall? The odd person, but for the most part, NO! No help with mowing the lawn or anything like that, not even help getting the kids to the meetings.

Some folks in the world found out about my situation, and what did they do? There's much more, but I'll relate one situation...they brought me a hamper with food, grocery store gift cards (about $500.00), clothing and toys for the kids, along with about $500.00 cash. Worldly neighbours didn't just offer to mow the lawn, they just came and did it. Did they ask for me to do anything, or behave in a certain way for this? NO! I was shocked to learn how much the JW's don't look after the "widows and orphans" in their midst and how generous the "world" was.

I could go on and on ...

Rose

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Sometimes worldly people can be really bad.

I have a neighbor that gets up early (7AM) on the weekends and has about every motorized yard gadget you can think of (mower, blower, trimmer, edger, etc.). It usually wakes my wife and I up too early.

I have thought about witnessing to him and possibly he would become a JW. Then, on the weekends, he could get up early and go and do street work instead.

Rub a Dub

• nelly136
    nelly136

no it was the same kind of mix but on a far bigger scale, definately more 'what you see is what you get!'

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

No, actually I havn't noticed any difference really. There are the same good and bad people inside and out the org, the same arrogant assholes in and out, the same kind, humble people in and out. Hardly any difference really. But worldly people tend to not trust you quite as much I guess...there's a certain distance they keep a bit, but that is often worse in the congregation if you're on the margins a bit. And Worldlings do tend to have looser morals and like to drink more and cuss a bit more. But they are much, much less judgmental.

• heybaby
    heybaby

Hell no!! Hahaha, but seriously, there are some of the best people I have met!!

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I find that a lot less are hypocritical then most JW I know.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Or should I say most "worldly" people I know are more genuine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit