Did you find worldly people as bad as the JW's made them out to be??

by karter 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird

Further, you can go into any city and go to the roughest neighborhood and this is still true of the majority of the people there.

True that.

Sylvia

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm having a hard time convincing members of my family that non-JW's are quite normal and principled. They still say that the worst JW is better than the best worldly person. But they are the freaks.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Did you find worldly people as bad as the JW's made them out to be??

My JW family decided to "kick" me out of their network of association several years ago even though I'm not DF'd or DA'd. The friend that I thought was my best friend dropped me cold turkey when she found out I had questions about the organization. I've been through many hard times and guess who allowed me to cry on their shoulder? Not my family or JW friends...but it was my non JW friends.

In fact, I have one good friend that is Catholic and she took me under her wing. She's teaching me how to do taxes (she's CPA), helps me with my college assignments, pushes me to stay in college, work things out so I can bring my credit up again, and teaches me how to love again. I'm going to her house to help her peal potatoes for her daughter's graduation. I call her my "adopted" mom. Sad to say, she treats me so much better than my real parents ever did.

So to answer, my non JW friends are so much better than my JW friends ever were. Non JW's tend to truly care and with no pretense.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

"Worldy People", what a label. I have found that JW's are a self centered group that focus "ONLY" on themselves and the Borg. I and my children are treated better by real family and freinds toher than the JW's than the JW's themselves. My 7 year stint in the mind controlled cult proved it.

There are good and bad qualities in everyone and I find "more good" than "bad". A complete oposite of what the JW's want you to believe.

This religion is worthless.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I came into the JW';s out of the world when in High School. Most of my friends were pretty decent and upstanding people. We all grew up together playing ball, and most went on to college and are pretty successful now.

Of course the didn't have the truth and I was told to pretty much stop associating with them. I find most people at work to be nice,honest and forthright people. Of course in the dubs if you were 'worldly' that may be good enough to get you a "He/She would be a good bible study" I agree with most. I also met some great friends in the dubs, but I also met some of the dishonest people.

Well last year I was out on an medical leave,unpaid. This was from about Nov 06' to July 07' I heard from exactly one brother and his wife, and he is as real A person I've ever met. My PO ? Nothing, My CO ? Nothing, the friends in the hall ? Nothing. I suspect since I was just Joe Publisher, no one really cared, and my co-workers would REGULARLY call and say they hadn't seen me around work, and were wondering how I was. That has gotten the ball rolling to why I'm here now. After see-sawing for a while, I realize, I'm a nobody there, and unless you're banging out 90-100+ hours in service, or hold some type of title, you are a NOBODY. I've been invited out to ballgames, movies, etc by co-workers countless times. My J-dub friends, well I if they didn't see you in service Saturday, then oh well

It all evens out. I find alot of worldy people have standards too, and some pretty high ones to boot.

Quirky1 said what I've have grown to feel for quite a while......some of the MOST self-centered snobs.......

• Alexia
    Alexia

Never.

Even while growing up as a JW, I had friends at school who were not JW starting in nursery school. NONE of my childhood school friends were JW either because there went many that went to my school or they were snooty.

As I got older, it was constantly reinforced that “world’ people can be just as loving, compassionate, supportive, honest, etc as any so-call JW and many time, more so. When I was leaving my abusive JW ex-husband, gossip ran rapid in the congregation and the elders did not support me getting a divorce. No one offered any assistance or so much as call me. “Worldly” people I barley knew offered their couches and clothes off their backs for me. I didn’t have children so that wasn’t the motivation - people are just genuinely companionate.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

None in the world has tried to rape me yet, so the worldlies are ahead on that score.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

No way! there were witnesses that were worse than some in the world. It took me a long time to learn how to deal with people who were non witness, and I got burned in the process, there are some nasty people out there, BUT there are people who have stood by me through a lot more than the witnesses ever did!

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

No.

Some are nice, some are not... just like JW's.

The good thing about "worldly" (I have always hated that term) people is that they will usually still talk to you if you disagree with their beliefs.

• Sgt Pepper
    Sgt Pepper

No, contrary to what I had been conditioned to think:

I was relieved to find that my 'worldy' girlfriend had not had casual sex with dozens of men during her last 10 years.

Parties were different to dub 'gatherings' as there were no drugs, fighting, damage to property or pairing off in evidence. - This really took some adjusting to!

People generally listened to music for pleasure, not as part of some devil worshipping ritual.

There are lots of bad people out there who can make the world a pretty crap place to live, but there are far more good people just trying to look after their families and make ends meet. But because they don't attend five meetings a week and knock on a couple of doors at the weekend they are wicked!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit