Hot Food at the DCs past...What was it like?

by bronzefist 101 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There was a time when the food was pretty dam good..Like Blondie said,you could have fast food or a full meal..Either way,the food was inexpensive and tasty...........That all changed after I left..I was totally surprised to hear how badly things have gone down hill in regards to food at assemblys......Preparing food at assemblys,was a good way to get out of sitting through endless boreing talks..I loved it.........Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I don't see why some people look back with a smile, working for free getting up early, being told what to do, eating crap food made by people who didn't know what they were doing, I mean honestly looking back wouldn't you rather have gotten up when ever and just drove down to the local Dennys with your family and spent the rest of your day playing and having fun instead of wearing ill fitted suits from Sears discount rack?

• snowbird
    snowbird

That was during the times when we all were on a mission.

We thought the WT had it right, that the sheep were out there and it was our job to find them.

It was a privilege to work hard to make our brothers and interested ones comfortable.

When I returned in 2002?, I detected a coldness and detachment among the "friends" that was unsettling. It was as if no one could be bothered anymore.

I left in 2005 - never to return. The memories are all I have.

Sylvia

• Casper
    Casper

That was during the times when we all were on a mission.

We thought the WT had it right, that the sheep were out there and it was our job to find them.

It was a privilege to work hard to make our brothers and interested ones comfortable.

I agree with Snowbird,

I loved working in the food service, I worked in every aspect of it for 13 years.

It wasn't just the food, there was also a sense of brotherhood and doing something productive, that for me can't really be explained.

Yes, it was hard work, but given a choice, I wouldn't have missed out on it for anything. The best times of my Witness life.

Cas

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

best time of my Witness life ditching the DA going across the street to behind the gas station for a smoke.

• juni
    juni

I agree with you Sylvia snowbird.

There was an actual brotherhood at that time ... one felt like they were part of a god directed mission, and serving the brothers and sisters was desirable and enjoyable. For those who were not there at the time you did miss out on some good times and feeling the "brotherly love". From what I've been hearing about present witness attitudes... the good times are only a memory.

Interesting thought JamesWoods.

Juni

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, the food was quite good.

I remember when I was a kid that we would buy the meal ticket for 65 cents (it seemed like the price never changed) and then you would hand it to the sister where the line started.

At Yankee Stadium (New York) there were usually several lines and you would get in line and there would be brothers and sisters serving each item. As I recall, there were about 5 or so servers in each line. Each one would serve what he or she was responsible for into the tray; some meat, vegetables, potatoes, salad, desert, soda, etc.

I really looked forward to the afternoon meal.

Rub a Dub

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Worldly Andre

I don't see why some people look back with a smile, working for free getting up early, being told what to do, eating crap food made by people who didn't know what they were doing, I mean honestly looking back wouldn't you rather have gotten up when ever and just drove down to the local Dennys with your family and spent the rest of your day playing and having fun instead of wearing ill fitted suits from Sears discount rack?

At the time these meals and the preparation of them were a bright spot in an otherwise monotonous life. After years in the door-to-door work where we saw little benefit going to an assembly and contributing our time and seeing immediate results was a real bonus. Looking back, would we have preferred not to be there at all? At the time we didn't know what else there was

Looking back, would we have preferred not to be there at all? At the time we didn't know what else there was

At the time, I knew exactly what "else" was out there; sun, surf, and righteous buds dude (with due credit to Jeff Spiccoli of course)! I guess that's what made it even more miserable. In fact, I can remember dreading DCs and being very happy on the last day, after that horrible singing and final prayer. Yee haw, another year before I have to endure this misery again.

It always seemed like assemblies came around too often and lasted too long.

• Simon
    Simon

We used to have elaborate hot meals at our circuit assembly complete with waitress service. Anyone else remember those at the Manchester assembly hall?

Trouble is, it took too long to feed everyone.

On the morning of the assembly you rushed to buy your food ticket which would have a seating number or letter on it. When lunch started there was a big flip-board on the stage with the current sitting on it which would change during the lunch period and you'd see groups go off to join the queue.

Of course, the lunch hour ran out well before everyone had been fed so then in the afternoon session, as some poor sod was up giving a talk, a bother would stroll onto the platform and flip the board over and a big chunk of the audience would get up to go have their lunch!

You could claim that people missed the spiritual food but I think most of the audience were only still awake and attentive in anticipation of their number coming up.

The food wasn't bad, plus they had a donut making machine that was hypnotic to watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit