Hot Food at the DCs past...What was it like?

by bronzefist 101 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

Good enough for me to still resent it being taken away.....

But that said, I haven't been served 'spiritual meat" at a DC for a much longer time.

• 1914BS
    1914BS

I worked in the big kitchens that the assemblys used to have at ten years old. yah hot food they got but a 10 year old cooked it. It is a shame all that is gone now. Macdonalds is all they get now

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was only around for the re-heated stuff, Burritos etc etc. I'd heard that there was a more cafateria style arrangement b4 that. The stuff I ate tasted like high school food

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I don't remember hot food at the DC's, but I do remember the CA's. Saturday was always Veal Parmesean, mashed potatoes, a veg, a tossed salad, two cookies and a drink dished up on those stainless steel segregated trays. Sunday was roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, veg, tossed salad, two cookies and a drink. You could also get hot dogs, hamburgs, pizza, soup, sandwiches, fruit bags, and home made pie!!!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty
    I don't remember hot food at the DC's, but I do remember the CA's. Saturday was always Veal Parmesean, mashed potatoes, a veg, a tossed salad, two cookies and a drink dished up on those stainless steel segregated trays. Sunday was roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, veg, tossed salad, two cookies and a drink. You could also get hot dogs, hamburgs, pizza, soup, sandwiches, fruit bags, and home made pie!!!

Thats the way I remember it Bumble bee we must have had it better here in Canada.

I worked in the kitchen myself making donuts and cooking French fries and hamburgers, the Sunday meal was the biggest being roast beef or Turkey.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

We still had cold food when I was young I think. I remember the tapioca pudding cups and the most. I always asked mom for "that pudding the have at the assemblies". Then they announced everyone would have to bring their own lunch. I missed the pudding for a while but I got lunchbox snackables instead =P Our hall still had a place for where they used to store the food complete with counters to serve it don't think they ever used it for everything else.

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

Hamburgers and hot dogs.

Not the best in the world, but ok

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It was pure Alcyone ambrosia. A gormand's delight!

A taste somewhere between manna and spotted owl. *sigh*

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I was in, they had reheated food at the Big and Great Boasting Sessions. This consisted of burritoes, Muff'n Eggs, and heated sandwiches. They also had soft-serve ice cream. The Grand Boasting Sessions had cold sandwiches, a beverage (that Billion Bubbles that was supposed to be like Sprite), and frozen cups of pudding. The roast beef sandwiches were acceptable, and I never was too fussy with the beverages as long as they were not blatantly unacceptable in quality.

After 1995, we had to bring our own stuff. For a big or great boasting session, that was OK because you could store semi-perishables at home. At 3-day a$$emblies where you were at motel rooms, most food would spoil within that time. About the only thing one could safely store at room temperature for that amount of time were crackers, nuts, and candy bars. And then they tell us that we are not supposed to be going to fast food places for lunch (stay in the building) or having vendors in the buildings. Not that there is any refrigeration at the motel rooms they provide, either.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I loved helping out on the hot food. It was just an excuse to miss the convention, think that's why they stopped it.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit