Hot Food at the DCs past...What was it like?

by bronzefist 101 Replies latest jw friends

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

I wasn't allowed to get the hot meals. I'm not really sure why. I'll bet it's because my mom didn't want to wait in the really long hot lunch line. We always got hoagies instead.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Most of the hot food was fine. The free ice cream sundaes at the circuit assemblies were the only good reason to be there. The muff-n-eggs were disgusting. They had no yolks! What kind of sicko removes yolks from eggs??? Also, quality control included testing the temperature of the eggs. The brotherâ„¢ did this by sticking his finger inside the occasional muff-n-egg.

W

• sir82
    sir82

I was just a wee lad, so I don't remember the full-cooked DC meals.

But I do remember the "heated up, quickie" food.

One year they made hamburgers. They wrapped each one in aluminum foil, and put a hundred or so in a big styrofoam chest.

By the time you got to the bottom ones, they were literally submerged in a couple of inches of grease that had dripped from the dozens of burgers above them. We'd pull them out, shake them a little, and hand them over. Unbelievably, people still took them. I can only imagine what they were like inside the foil.

Speaking of muff-n-eggs: At some assemblies, at the end of Sunday's session, leftover food items were sold in bulk at a discount. One such bulk item was a pack of 12 frozen, pre-cooked, egg discs that would have been thawed out for use as the "egg" in the muff-n-egg. For some odd reason, they weren't a big seller.

Some people would see the baggie of sickly yellow discs and ask "are those cookies?". It took all of my teen-aged willpower to say "no". I would have loved to see the expression on someone's face as they bit into a frozen egg, expecting an oatmeal (or whatever) cookie!

• White Dove
    White Dove

I remember the warm overs for DC's and the full cooked hot meals for CA's. I also remember the hardship of bringing food to the convention when we weren't allowed to cook in the rooms and there was no refridgerator, either. How the hell did people manage? There was such bad traffic all over the city that finding a place to buy food that would stay good in the heat was nearly impossible. We bought lunchables and that's it. We also went out to eat sometimes breaking the rules about leaving for lunch. Breakfast was easy as it was always McD's. Dinner was easy as it was always Denney's. Lunch was a non-event, nothing like it was when we ate good hot food in CA's cafeterias. I sure did miss it. I loved to go and buy the warm-overs and snow cones at DA's. They sure sucked the fun out of assemblies when they took away the food. Order us not to leave for lunch and what are we left with? Soggy sandwitches that could by then have food poisoning or Lunchables that don't fill a person up.

• snowbird
    snowbird

It was really good.

We'd have 1/4 chicken or some delicious fried fish, veggie, starch, roll, and sweet tea.

For dessert there'd be 1/2 cantaloupe with soft serve ice cream.

Hey, this is the South!

It was very good.

Sylvia

• changeling
    changeling

Long lines to get into a dinning tent. Counter height tables and everyone eating standing up (if you were a child you could not reach the table). Cafeteria style enamel, patitioned trays and real metal flatware. A cooking tent with large vats of school cafeteria style food. A clean up tent for washing pots and dinnerware. Lots and lots of work. Memories...

changeling :)

• White Dove
    White Dove

And, don't forget that we were not allowed to have large coolers. How did average sized families manage without coolers? Did the WTS have a deal with Oscar Meyer Lunchables or something?

• Casper
    Casper

P.S. If any of you were involved in the cooking was it a hassle?

I worked in every aspect of the food services for the whole 13 years I was in.

We had to be there at 3:00 a.m. to begin the preparation for the hot breakfast, and prep things for lunch... we had a baked chicken that was heavenly...

When the hot meals were done away with, I thought it would get easier, it didn't... sandwiches had to be made, areas set up and then you had to serve. Still enjoyed it tho.

I miss the cheese danish and the pasta salad......

I never once thought of it as a hassle, "Tiring" but in a good way.

Cas

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sKBGxP1pDsw&hl=en"> name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sKBGxP1pDsw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKBGxP1pDsw

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

I do remember the Hot meals at the DA and the CA.

My Dad was usually the Cafeteria Servant at the CC (thats what they called it then). He was a perfectionist and also a good cook so he thought up great menus. I remember lining up with the stainless steel tray and having someone behind the table plopping potatos in one slot and another person plopping meat in another slot and veggies in another slot etc. I hated lining up, it took forever and you couldn't socialize, but the food was good. I also remember not being able to find a place to sit at to eat it. Everyone liked to sit and socialize while eating and didn't vacate right after eating. You had to get there early to have a place to sit and eat.

I remember at the District Assemblies way back when I was 10 or something we had to stand to eat and put our trays on long high tables under tent like tarps outside.

I also remember the long lineups in the womens washroom at Yankee Stadium one year and some of the other bigger venues. I was 10 and I was nearly bursting and there was at least 50 women in front of my Mom and I. I was about to pee my pants and I was in pain and my Mom said it wasn't nice to complain and that I would just have to wait and suffer. Fortunately a kindly sister saw my dilemma, had pity for me and insisted upon letting me in ahead of the others. My mom was mad at me.

As a youngster and a teenager I found the snack tables the highlight of the assembly ;-) Great things like potato chips, sandwiches, pizza, all kinds of goodies I wasn't allowed generally but could have at assemblies. I remember my DAD never got to sit down and listen to the sessions because he was so busy in the kitchen. My Mom used to take shorthand and write it all out for him and later she recorded it with this Big old thing she set up near the platform LOL, those were the days.

I heard about the cold food and the picnics on your lap thing more recently from my Mom. That is not fun.

Velvet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit