Hot Food at the DCs past...What was it like?

by bronzefist 101 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

not that good...

Powdered GI style scrambled eggs.

Toast

I seem to remember sausage or bacon and grits or cream of wheat

Orange juice was always frozen in the carton, milk was warm and coffee was boiled by the gallon

seems like the "jehogie" was lunch fare for eons

Shasta soda

dinners were noodle based things... some chicken... meatloaf kind of stuff

I spent a couple of years in "trucking"... I tried not to eat much of this stuff.. but hauled the raw material around several assembly sites.

Jeff

• littleblueuk
    littleblueuk

I remember the disgusting burritos and the hamburgers, the canned veggies and the Shasta. You could also buy a bag a fruit, which was about the only thing I liked. I remember the lunch trays they were served on...and yes, you had to buy tickets to purchase the food. There was always some dumbass who didn't have tickets and had to go to the end of the line.

What sticks with me the most is Yankee Stadium, in about 300 degress of heat, sticking to those horrible plastic flip chairs; and the bathroom smell used to make me want to puke.

Anybody around then -- 70s and 80s at Yankee Stadium???

• snowbird
    snowbird

This is really bringing back memories.

I remember a dear old Brother being scandalized that a family from Canada had never tasted grits before!

He simply couldn't believe that there are places where grits are not eaten.

He was such a dear one. I really missed him when he died.

Sylvia

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have some ok memories of the hot food. I also remember:

Long lines that took forever

Running out of food before you get to be served

Those tall stand up tables that were too high for a kid

Canned beans, canned mashed potatos, canned gravey and a slice of turkey with jello for desert - Not so good

I remember one circuit assembly where the whole assembly went home with food poisoning. I was a teenager working in the kitchen that weekend and I assure you that I was not one to wash my hands as often as might be required.

May be the past was not so great.

But I loved it when they switched to the burritos for lunch and egg sandwiches in the morning

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm going to make breakfast. See ya'!

PS Ever skip a meal while on JWD?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I remember a dear old Brother being scandalized that a family from Canada had never tasted grits before!

What's grits? I have some 100 grit sandpaper at home, but I assume the two are unrelated.

W

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Anyone remember the Meal Tickets? they were little booklets you would buy before the ASSembLies and use these tickets to purchase food, I think every booklet was like $5

• snowbird
    snowbird

What's grits? I have some 100 grit sandpaper at home, but I assume the two are unrelated.

W

You assume correctly, Brother W. Take a look.

Sylvia

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Fried Eggs, Bacon and Grits yumm

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

You can't beat the Punjabi Assemblies in Britain for the food!

I used to love going to Dudley and helping out, Samosa, Pakora, Curries, mmm. Plenty of left overs at the end of the weekend.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit