Did you have the bookstudy at your house?

by karter 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• shamus100
    shamus100

LOL @ Walter.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Yes, and the only reason we did was because my crazy husband at the time was seeking advancement. And I can't believe the elders said ok, because it was a two bedroom roach ridden apartment in a 3-story walk up with no air conditioning in the southern U.S. I felt embarassed, because we could've afforded a nicer place to live, but the husband was always trying to prove his vow of poverty. We weren't impoverished. He worked full time and made good money, and I worked part time and was a regular pioneer. When the elders finally realized how crazy he was, they moved the book study. I often wondered if one of our neighbors mentioned his screaming fits while he was beating me. One guy who lived across the hall from us used to knock on the door and ask to borrow a cup of sugar or dish soap or something silly like that when the violence got really bad. As for refreshments, I never offered any, because I didn't know that kind of thing was done. I'd never been to a book study that served goodies afterwards.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Okay. You're not going to believe this. I have it on good authority from several eyewitnesses that it is true. I was very young and have only a few actual memories of it all.

We had the bookstudy in our house. And our house was "demonized."

We bought the house from an old widow. She left the dining room suite in the house. We found out much later that her husband had taken one of the dining room chairs into the attic, climbed up on it, and hanged himself from the rafters. From that day forward, the dining room suite was haunted. That's why the old lady left it behind.

My mother kept her literature stash in the dining room buffet. As soon as the prayer was said at the beginning of the book study, the buffet drawers would open an inch or two and then slam shut, open an inch or two and then slam shut. The book study conductor would give my mother a pleading look and she'd yell at the buffet to settle down, and it would, for a little while.

Other things happened in this house. Something invisible picked up my grandfather by the ankles and threw him across the room once.

It's been 40 years since my parents hosted the book study but the oldsters who remembered these things still talk about them to this day. I don't know how much of it is mass hysteria or delusion. My father is not fanciful (and not a JW) and he says this really happened. What I can't figure out is why the elders allowed them to keep having the book study in our house with all this going on!

Eventually, we sold this house to a young couple. A few months later, we drove by and the dining room suite was in the front yard with a "for sale" sign taped to it.

• shell69
    shell69

yes, we were a 'relief' home when the other home wasn't available. I never liked it, and always felt as if I was being scrutinized , and whether my kids and home were good enough. shell

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I did for 10 years, I Loved it when parents would let their kids come in with texters of all different colors to pain my carpet, furniture and the food nights were great if you like spilled drinks and food stains. Worst thing you can't stay home from the bookstudy, yes you have to go in service everytime....when I moved to my new home with a huge lounge room my wife said why not have it at our place...I threatened a divorce and that was the end of it.

• Gordy
    Gordy

We did for probably getting on for 20 years.

Then after what happened with me, and I had "left" home. They moved it for a while.

Then they brought back which probably pleased my wife, would mean she was in "good standing"

But from what I last heard numbers have dropped from about the 20-25 we had when I was there.

Down to just 8-10.

• pratt1
    pratt1

We had the BS in our basement.

I hated it as a kid because I had to keep my room clean and mom my made sure that I shared my toys with all the other kids whether they were friends of mine or not. (I guess I was a selfish little bastard).

It became downright inconvinient when I started going to college, because I was always expected to attend no matter how tired or busy I was.

After a while I just stopped going and I would use another entrance into the house so that most of the time, no one knew I was home.

My mom absolutely loved the "privledge" of having the BS in her home.

She is actually disappointed that the BS is no longer a meeting.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

We had it on the odd occasion when the normal sister couldn't but then when said sister asked us to have it permanently and we were willing (I had just discovered I was pregnant with our first child and thought it would be a blessing) the elders decided to come and give us a shepherding call (first in years). They asked why hubby wasn't reaching out - he gave them a few reasons why he didn't want to join the boys club - there and then they pronounced that Jehovah's blessing wasn't on our house so it couldn't be held there. I was devastated; to hubby it just confirmed the reasons why he didn't want to be part of the elders club. They backtracked and said they'd have to check (WTF?) and come back to us.

The next day we got a card from the sister whose house the BS was in saying how sorry she was to hear we couldn't have the bookstudy in our house! Needless to say, that was the beginning of the end for hubby and I.

They did us the biggest favour.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hi Sweetpea..all my experience was that we would put groups any where we could because few homes were willing , and a lot lived in small flats (apartments?) I have had groups where the cats used to fight around my feet, where the people had a pet rat in a cage that we dare not tell the group about because some would freak out, where a grown up non believing son used to sit on the step outside and smoke....

As for a "supper", we should be so lucky! Some home owners did a cup of tea....The best group was when everybody used to contribute cake and biscuits and we shared it all...

The good groups, with a good spirit were good...the grotty ones were awful..BTW No I vever had one at our house

• RR
    RR

Yep, bookstudy and field service meeting, and I conducted both, when I stepped down, I kicked them out of my home!

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit