Did you have the bookstudy at your house?

by karter 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• chickpea
    chickpea

we hosted for over 10 yrs.... it was an amalgamation of all the above

we have a very very large living room... it looks very much like a lodge, with post and beam construction, a catherdral ceiling and a floor to ceiling rock face fireplace "wall" ..... there were 3 sofas in there at one time and plenty of "portable seating" available

our particular group has a BOATLOAD of kids, variant only by who the conductor was ( we had 5)... so at maxium attendance during the highest body count there were 36 people, 20 of which were minor children.... true, some were teens and some toddlers, but the point is.... there were scads of them ( 4 were mine)..... and the toilet never stopped flushing!!

we had the occasional damage and sticky fingers... we tried treat nights several times, but that was such a pain....people would stay til 10....

the best argument for having it at the house was having babies that got to sleep in their own cribs instead of being dragged out in to the night.... esp in winter !

otherwise..... there wasnt a whole lot about the "privilege of book study" that was endearing

• Satanus
    Satanus

I/we did. There were a few of us guys that rented a house together. It was fun having the book study there, actually. The only bad part was having to clean the place beforehand. We even had a few disco dance things in that house.

S

• Open mind
    Open mind

Funniest book study horror story I read somewhere on JWD was this one:

The CBSO walks in the door to conduct and sees a banner taped to the wall which reads,

DON'T PEE ON THE COUCH!

• Quandary
    Quandary

Growing up my parents hosted the bookstudy for 17 years and everytime after the meeting my mom would serve coffee, fruit juice for the kids, homemade cake or pie and plenty of fresh fruit. My parents are very hospitable.

Q

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I did with the ex. Honestly it got to be a problem because her Dad, (The PO), had the entire family there and it wasn't good. Along with that it seemed like every time I did not provide goodies afterwards, people just cleared out in record time.

Eventually I got tired of staring at in-laws I couldn't stand and I asked that we end the arrangement at my place.

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

Had it at our house for almost 4 years...then my ex got DF'd, needless to say people got moved to other homes. I agree that the kids were always using the toliet during that hour.

brzfst

• Open mind
    Open mind

I wonder what the elders would say if the host provided a Port-a-Potty on the front lawn exclusively for Book Study attenders?

om

• Layla33
    Layla33

Yes, since I was a kid.

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

Yes, We had it at our house when I was a kid and when I was married too. People are so disrespectful of others homes and belongings. The friends I have now take better care of my things than any one at a book study ever did!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, for years.

I liked it. I had to clean the house extra good...so at least once a week it was shining. Had a fun group of different ages. We had backyard bar-b-ques and volleyball games.

I can't say that I didn't enjoy the social aspect of it.

I did not, however, like having to also clean early Saturday morning for the bookstudy group to go out in service. Also, we felt like we must always go out. Hardly ever went anywhere on a weekend, as our house was the service center.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit