"Even if it isn't true" - how many of you heard this one recently?

by hamsterbait 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I remember first hearing it after the Generation change of 95.

A sister answered up at the WT and said "even if Armageddon isn't coming, its still the best way to live."

I have heard others say: "even if it isn't true, it's still the best way of life."

My mother said it a few weeks ago! She now denies all memory of the 1975 thing. Claims she doubted the 1914 Generation doctrine all along. (As do others)

There is a definite process at work here. What's going on in those dubbie heads?

HB

"even if it isn't true, it's still the best way of life."

The "best" way of life?

It's rather pathetic that anyone would consider the miserable Jehovah's Witness lifestyle to be the best, given the likelihood that those making such claims have probably never lived any other type of lifestyle.

Personally, I think living in a septic tank would be preferable to living a life as a Jehovah's Witness. But for others, it is indeed nirvana to allow others to think for you and tell you what to think, say, and who to hang out with.

• Quandry
    Quandry

What's going on in those dubbie heads?

Exactly. What are they trying to say? Are they having doubts and just trying to reassure themselves that they should remain "in?"

Someone said that to me a few years ago, but I was hardcore dubbing then. I wish I'd asked what they meant.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> "even if it isn't true, it's still the best way of life."

I recall hearing a sister make that argument out in field service.

She committed suicide a couple years later.

Dave

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Ick.

Who knows!? My mother said once "it has to be the truth or else everything we have sacrificed will be for nothing." I think JW's think this way because they live such a rigid unpleasant life that they have to believe the "world" is so much worse... I don't know...

• Casper
    Casper

I remember saying to my study conductor...

"What if this isn't the truth, what if you all just live in a fantasy world..?" and she replied,

"Well, if it's not the truth, I'm sure Jehovah will understand and realize that we tried the best

we could and will bless us for our efforts."

Cas

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    Are they having doubts and just trying to reassure themselves that they should remain "in?"

Yes, I think that has alot to do with it.

momz

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

The most hardnosed elder I've ever known, Claude Burkett, Bethelite, an elder at 23, Special Pioneer, served in ME, VT and NY, said this to me, probably in the early 1980s or late 70s:

"Even if this isn't the truth, it's still the best way of life."

So, I have a feeling this is part of Witness culture, some sort of buried sub-plot!

S4

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    "even if it isn't true, it's still the best way of life."

The "best" way of life?

There are better ways to live.

• loosie
    loosie

How do they know it is the best way to live? They have never tried to live any other way and they haven't lived all the ways there are to live.

What's going on in those dubbie heads?

You have to remember it takes courage to think differently than the group. Not All JW's have that courage. It's safer for them to go with the flow than to swim upstream.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit