"Even if it isn't true" - how many of you heard this one recently?

by hamsterbait 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If it 'isn't true' then keep your morals, your weekends, your tuesday and thursday nights, your friends, hobbies, fashion sense, and relationships. Keep your good paying job, keep your education up to date, and get a bikini wax.(that just seems so contrary to everything JW like).

• Confession
    Confession

I posted on this very subject a few years ago, quite shortly after realizing that The Truth wasn't...

It was an elder giving a public talk on Sunday. I was visiting my parents' congregation with my new wife and newborn baby. I'm guessing it was in the late 80s. With great feeling, he said...

"Friends, what if this isn't the truth? What it it's all a big scam? (pause) Isn't it still the best way of life?!"

It now strikes me as telling that I was so disturbed by this expression, while most had no comment. I think that, in a sense, JWs can be classified into two groups. When faced with the thought that this organization may not be what it claims to be, some deeply desire to know the truth -- while others would prefer not to know.

My "awakening" just occurred this past September 15th, 2004. At 38, may family has been associated with JWs for four generations and more than 60 years. Previously I'd been a servant in the congregation for six years, an elder for three. More than thirty members of my family are inside--two who profess to be of the anointed. I genuinely believed it was the truth--and was NOT an opportunistic faultfinder, always looking for something to gripe about. Believe me, I'd rather not create a rift within my family. But, while some may be able to go along, pretending to believe, I cannot. I just can't lamely go through the motions, knowing that this organization is not what it purports to be--realizing the wicked way its leadership manipulates people and destroys families to protect itself.

Isn't that what the Watchtower Society likes to call "honest-hearted?" Perhaps scenarios such as the one you and I both witnessed had an affect on us because we are honest-hearted truth seekers--as opposed to those who've learned to deceive themselves in their desire to have "The Truth."

• Layla33
    Layla33

Even if it isn't true, IT'S A LIE and we are forced to follow a religion that has been misleading its flock for almost 75 years.

That's how someone would logically conclude, however, isn't it interesting how JW's can see the lie but justify it.

They are being conditioned, it's complete indoctrination. They just can't think for themselves on so many levels.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My dad told me "Even if it's isn't true, I couldn't of had a better life, I wouldn't change a thing".

It was one of those things I had to reflect on. The more I reflected, the more offended I became. All the sacrifices that I made, and there were a lot, were all for nothing. I lost sleep all through school because of four night meetings on four different nights, I didn't turn in homework week after week because we were out every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night every week, and I sat out everything good in school from birthday cake to Christmas candy.

I had the embarrassment of not standing for the pledge every single day, and sitting in the dunce corner when the class prepared their Christmas program and it was all on my parent's orders because we had the "truth". Not one damn thing they told me turned out to be true and when I asked about it they said it was a "lifestyle choice" and if they'd known I didn't like it they'd have put me in a foster home. That just chaps my ass!

A parent's job is to prepare the child for life. My parents took a trip to la-la land and never came back. They lived in a fantasy world of ghosts, gods, and goblins in the dark, and tried to teach me that they were "right" and all the rest of the world was wrong. As an 8 year old kid, I didn't have the resources, the means, or even the will to question it all. I accepted what my parents told me as true and tried to survive.

When it all failed and not one thing was left, they dumped me in the garbage like last night's leftover fish. My dad shunned me the last 12 years of his life because HE was wrong and couldn't defend his life of wrongs. The bottom line for me is: I could have had a better life and it's offensive to me to be told my sacrifices were my dad's membership dues in a social club.

• chickpea
    chickpea

even if it isnt true, the zoloft and trazadone make it a pretty good way to waste a life's potential

alt

• sandy
    sandy

It is hard to believe that I actually said that before and probably more than once.

I've certainly come a long way over the past five years.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Yeah, I've heard that plenty of times.I guess it's really a subconscious coercion or pacifier that essentially says:"Hey, even if were completely batshit crazy, it's still a good life though, right !?! " Um......yeah...it's...sure...something...

They've destroyed so many lives and this is the kind of shit they come up with ? It all gets reduced down to neat little catch phrases:"It's okay if we're wrong, we live a clean life." Well, that can be said about lots of other religions ( or none at all) too, now can't it ?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    "even if it isn't true, it's still the best way of life."

How about, "even if it isn't true, wouldn't fighting against life-saving medical treatment for your only child be the very best way to let them die... forever."

(Sorry, I'll try to come up with a funny one next time.)

B the X

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Many people do not care what "the Truth" is. They only want the confort and sanity of a world where everything is known, everyone obeys the social rules, and there is nothing to feel anxious about.

The reason they respond so strongly when we try to Bring_the_Light is many don't want it, and they know they don't want it.

The Cult to a large extent is not perverting the thinking of otherwise "normal" people. It is giving people what they want, when it cannot be found in any other venue. Indeed, "there is no safe place to go" when you walk out into the Light.

Bring the Light

Apathy's Last Kiss LyricsArtist(Band):Smashing Pumpkins

Review The Song (0)Print the Lyrics

Complimentary "Apathy's Last Kiss" Ringtone What's the matter
    What's the difference
    You'll feel better if you lie
    With the stars in your eyes

Honey, Honey
    Where's my baby
    She know better than to cry
    With the stars in her eyes

There is
    No safe place to go
    I should know
    The lame
    And the droll have needs
    To let their feelings show

What's the matter
    What's the difference
    What's the question
    You'll feel better
    If you lie
    With the stars in your eyes

There is
    No safe place to go
    I should know
    The lame
    And the droll have needs
    To let their feelings show

Bury your heart in a hole
    Bury your heart in a
    Bury your heart in a
    Bury your heart in a hole

• besty
    besty

For me it comes down to self-justification and the difficulty we humans have in putting our hand up and saying "Yes, I am wrong"

Self-justification is fuelled by cognitive dissonance - so I suspect in the case of JW's coming up with the very lame "its the best way of life even if its all horsesh*t" are particularly troubled by some of their JW lifestyle choices and values and their perception of the way reality is unfolding for them.

Next time you hear this perhaps tactfully enquire about areas of their life they would change given a blank sheet of paper. Could get interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit