"Even if it isn't true" - how many of you heard this one recently?

by hamsterbait 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A sister at a family get together noticed my stud and asked how I felt about the Truth.

I told her my story.

She looked like a deer in the headlights.

"Well, it's a good lifestyle and we enjoy it!!" she said, turning away to talk to her husband.

Chris

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In fact, a Kingdumb Malady starts "The Way of the Truth[sic] is the Best Way of Living". This pxxx poor excuse of a song describes the witless way of living, requiring all the sacrifice and self-discipline to avoid doing anything to fully benefit from living.

Of course, it is not the best way of living, truth or not. I have examined several religious belief systems enough to find that they all cause people to sacrifice something and get nothing in return. Rules that create problems where none existed are universal. This situation creates economic deadweight. People are not getting the full potential of their lives.

Yet, absolute free for all isn't the best way, either. That causes people to initiate force, threat of force, and fraud to get what they want without putting the effort to earn it. This, too, creates deadweight by having people working hard and not enjoying the benefits of what they have earned. So people decide not to create value, knowing that someone else is going to benefit. Effectively, that too siphons value from society.

The best way of living is in the middle. The principles of morals and the rules are very simple when reduced to their simplest terms--almost as simple as I found multiplication and division when I learned it at the most basic levels (it took me all of ten seconds of work to construct my times tables out to 12 X 12 my way). The simplest morals are: Any volitional action that is good for self or society is morally proper. Any volitional action that is bad for self or society is morally improper and is immoral. Any action that is not volitional or that is neither good nor bad for self or society, and any emotions, is amoral (meaning it makes no difference). The rules are no initiation of the use of force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. This takes only about ten seconds to learn.

Unlike religions that teach things that people have to be at boasting sessions all their lives and still never figure out. Simple, better, maximizing value for self and society--and potentially highly rewarding. What better way could there be than that? Certainly not the Washtowel Slaveholdery!

• sspo
    sspo

I heard the same many times but what else can a witness say after spending a lifetime in a religion and sacrificing everything for it.

It's the only excuse and reason they can come up with without looking as fools.

• anonochan
    anonochan

My husband says that sometimes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit