Found this today - My Book of Bible Stories

by kurtbethel 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You say there are better bible-story books but I search the whole of my local book store but could only find ones on christmas an no other stories in them. I'd be happy to have a look at one you recommend though?

Well?

• moshe
    moshe

My daughter learned about the flood of Noah at our synagogue's childrens Sunday school. It was presented as a story, but not as a literal event. Same with the parting of the Red Sea. Whatever happened was not caused by a divine supernatural event.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I think they should have included this story in the bible story book. That Jacob ..... his children were a chip off the old block.

Oh, btw why don't the politically correct children have a New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures bible?

2 There Judah met the daughter of a Canaanite man named Shua. He married her and lay with her; 3 she became pregnant and gave birth to a son, who was named Er.
    15 When Judah saw her, he thought she was a prostitute, for she had covered her face. 16 Not realizing that she was his daughter-in-law, he went over to her by the roadside and said, "Come now, let me sleep with you."
    24 About three months later Judah was told, "Your daughter-in-law Tamar is guilty of prostitution, and as a result she is now pregnant."
    Judah said, "Bring her out and have her burned to death!"
    25 As she was being brought out, she sent a message to her father-in-law. "I am pregnant by the man who owns these," she said. And she added, "See if you recognize whose seal and cord and staff these are."
    26 Judah recognized them and said, "She is more righteous than I, since I wouldn't give her to my son Shelah." And he did not sleep with her again.
  • White Dove
    White Dove

OMG! Date/marital rape! "Rapette!"

I just caught that: Only in married couples can a man rape his wife!

I remember thinking when I read that as a kid: But even if they were married, would he still force her?

She was never made into the victim that she was.

Blame the victim!

It was Dinah's fault. BS!

• lrkr
    lrkr

The Bible Story book is a classic. Ever wonder why the first 3/4 is dedicated to people dying by various means for failing to worship God.

So let's see, you can be

• swallowed by a shark,
    • burned by fire from the sky,
    • thrown out of the garden and left to die,
    • killed in a flood,
    • killed by a giant,
    • killed by drinking milk and then having a stake driven through your head,
    • God will keep the sun up so you can kill more Cannanites,
    • killed for having sex with the neighbor boy (oh- I forgot- the neighbor boy and all of his village got killed actually),
    • the king can throw a spear at you,
    • the Babylonians can march you off to captivity,
    • you can kill someone (almost) who doesn't bring you food- then God will kill him for you so you can marry his cute wife,
    • And the grand finale- Millions of angels on horses coming to kill everyone who doesn't do things right
    • etc, etc, etc, etc.

The bottom line- Worship God or be killed!!! Maybe even if you do worship God but not good enough- you'll get killed.

Such a nice book for children.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I just went to Amazon.com and, even with a strict criteria of new, hardcover, ages 4-8, about the Bible, I came up with 643 books to browse through. My kids have tons of Bible story books.

Perhaps you should look online instead of in a B&M store.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

There are tons of appropriate bible stories for kids - you don't even have to look that hard - go to any christian book store - you've go story books and bibles, dvds, cds, colouring in books, games... you name it.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Yea bible stories are great for kids I remember not understanding one story in particular, the story of the talking donkey. It showed the guy beating the crap out of the donkey and I understood at the time that he was not a good man for doing that but at the same time my dad would beat the crap out of me and then quote the bible" beat your child he will not die". Don't you just love the bible, it's great for kids.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yoohoo! Reniaa! Where are you?

Ain't funny after watching a topic blow up over the drivel of whether you're going back to the jws or not that you can't come back to this topic and say anything about the dearth and lack of quality of children's reading material by the WTBTS compared to what available on the outside after I responded to you. Stumped? Unbelievable or should I say believable.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Here you go reniaa:

http://www.eden.co.uk/shop/Childrens_Bibles_99/index.html

Take your pick - I especially recommend anything published by Lion or Candle books (The Beginners Bible is published by Candle here in the UK and is a top seller)

If you need more help on selection please do send me a PM.

edit to add - DON'T go for Usborne books - they aren't a Christian publisher and their stories aren't quite up to scriptural standard! (being careful how I word that lol!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit