"Why does America always bomb other countries?", my son asked tonight.

by digderidoo 230 Replies latest jw friends

• Free
    Free

lets get back to WT bashing, what do you all think ?

Bad thread for me to see. sorry digderidoo, I am a little worked up right now.

and it was the INDO DUDE who is the bigger asshole.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

The points you raise are valid and on the minds of many (not enough) thinking Americans. America's day in the sun has long passed.

The United States had a great opportunity, in the years after WWII, to be the great moral leader for the world. Instead, our government supported despotic, totalitarian leaders as long as they supported American interests.

I love this country, and I believe the founding fathers were some of the most visionary people in history, but that doesn't change the fact that America lost its moral compass long ago, and this country is in decline morally, technologically, industrially, and in any other way you can suggest.

I've been in school for the last 9 years and there is a list of books as long as my arm that I want to read. One of them is "Sorrows of Empire," by Chalmers Johnson, that addresses these very issues. I have listened to him talk and read excerpts from the book -- check it out -- I think you'll find it riveting.

Cheers,

Alex

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude
    Digder wrote: "I am an asshole because?"

Apparently you've pointed out a sensitve spot with a few contemporary Americans. It bugs many to do some self-reflection.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Free, apology accepted.

I am not bashing America with this, as a Brit how can i? My country has had blood on it's hands throughout history.

Paul

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

The war mongers get rich on war --- bottom line, money.

ESTEE

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    I have heard how US citizens feel their country uses war to fight for democracy and freedom, but that is not how many in Europe see it.

Gigabytes on this topic can be found here. www.students4democracy.org

Things have really slown down, because being pussies who don't believe what they say and lacking the spine to stand with their convictions, the Europeans have slowly wandered away.

I don't care if Europeans don't think the United States uses its power to defend freedom in the world...... I'm just glad that they don't Heil Hitler anymore or burn Jews. The beauty of freedom my friend is you can be a moron in public. If all the dumbshits that couldn't think themselves out of a bag suddenly went silent, I would be more concerned than relieved.

Bring_the_Light = EngineerSoldier

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude
    Alpaca wrote:

The points you raise are valid and on the minds of many (not enough) thinking Americans. America's day in the sun has long passed.

The United States had a great opportunity, in the years after WWII, to be the great moral leader for the world. Instead, our government supported despotic, totalitarian leaders as long as they supported American interests.

I love this country, and I believe the founding fathers were some of the most visionary people in history, but that doesn't change the fact that America lost its moral compass long ago, and this country is in decline morally, technologically, industrially, and in any other way you can suggest.

I've been in school for the last 9 years and there is a list of books as long as my arm that I want to read. One of them is "Sorrows of Empire," by Chalmers Johnson, that addresses these very issues. I have listened to him talk and read excerpts from the book -- check it out -- I think you'll find it riveting.

Cheers,

Alex

Wow! I couldn't have said it better myself. A very thoughtful, and accurate response.

• 5go
    5go
    Before the decision was made to drop the nukes on Japan, both sides were preparing for the invasion of Japan, and predicted losses on each side were astronomical. Dropping the two bombs led to the surrender of japan and saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives from both sides. Then those evil, wicked Americans went into japan and rebuilt it, so that today it is an economic powerhouse and the people are free of the feudal system that sat on their shoulders before the war. America also dropped tons -- yes, TONS -- of bombs on Germany during WWII in an effort to help preserve the liberty of some allies on some islands north of France. Teach your kids to say "Danke schön, Amerika!"

You still buy that story. First the Japanese were trying to surrender the USA wouldn't agree to the terms. Second Japan was bombed to ruin before the bombs were dropped on two cites that had been sparred bombing in order to test the effect of the bombs on a cities. Third we can thank the Soviets the day Japan surrendered was the day the Soviets entered Manchuria and Japan's last sticking point for unconditional surrender was rendered moot.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

This thread has given me some food for thought. I am guilty myself at times of not seperating the individual American to the government.

I never forget meeting an American guy two years ago in Amsterdam, there were six of us and one of him, who had to defend himself from everyone. What stuck in my mind though was that he didn't agree with the Iraq war or Bush, but we just couldn't see that.

I don't think when people refer to Germany in WW2 though should mean that Europe has to back all US policies now. Its as though some feel that because US got rid of Hitler, this then means that to show our gratitude we should then back the US up now with their foreign policy.

Paul

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

Why does America always bomb other countries? It doesn't. Over here, when a 13 year old makes sweeping statements, it is expected, and we attempt to answer with some perspective...when grown American men do it, we call them hysterical girly man. An estimated 50,000,000 people died in WWII including around 2,000,000 Japanese. Anyone familiar with German weaponry and their air superiority, understands the dilemna that the rest of the world faced. The entire space programs of the US and USSR including sending rockets to the moon were the result of the German scientists/technology taken after WWII. The thought in using the bombs as pointed out by a previous poster, was to end the war, which they did. I guess when 50,000,000 had already died, ending the war had become a priority. The US hasn't used those bombs since. Technology has changed how aerial bombing is used in modern war. More precision bombing has resulted in less indiscriminate bombing. The first Iraq war was a prime example. A historical perspective may help your son not to become hysterical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit