Anybody ever read any really thick books?

by JimmyPage 41 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Anybody ever read any really thick books? (I mean besides the one with the talking snake and the dragon that got hurled down to the sea). Books like "Anna Karenina" or "The Brothers Karamazov"?

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Come to think of it, I haven't actually. I've got the Dune trilogy which is quite thick but haven't started that and have more important non-fiction to read first.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I read Anna Karenina when I was 13. I've thought of myself as a tragic heroine ever since!

Never made it through war and peace though, I tried twice.

"Gone with the Wind" is pretty thick. I read that 6 times when I was 11. My father finally threw it in the trash when he got tired of me saying "fidlle dee dee" every time he asked me to do something, or "I won't think about that today, I'll think about that tomorrow!"

I also read "The Godfather" and "Shogun" when I was 12 and 13. They were both pretty thick. I loved thick books when I was a kid because I was a book worm, always reading, and I wanted the book to last a long time, especially if it was good.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've read quite a bit in the last few years. For the last year, it's only been textbooks though. :-( Probably the longest I've read was either Moby Dick or Atlas Shrugged. I tend not to look at page counts if it's a good book.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Do trilogies count? hahaha. I'm working on Sigrid Undset's "Kristen Lavransdatter"

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

bttt

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

A Suitable Boy (Vikram Seth) was bloody long, and really not worth it.

• Switch
    Switch

I'm always reading thick books. I can't seem to pick up a book unless it's 500 - 800+ pages. Shogun by James Clavell is excellent. I also read James Michener and many more authors, old or new. I love historical fiction. It gives you a feel for a different time and place.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

The new Katie Price auto-biography is quite a thick book.

No, seriously the thickest book I have read is Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. I can read large non fiction books without any problems but I do struggle to keep interest with fiction...give me a Graphic novel by Neil Gaiman or Alan Moore and I'll be much happier.

• dinah
    dinah

The Stand and The Godfather. Before the kids came along, I kept my nose in a book all the time. Now I hardly ever read anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit