Anybody ever read any really thick books?

by JimmyPage 41 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I never read roots, but I can vividly remember watching the miniseries on tv when I was very young.

When Roots was televised, I did not have a TV. I lived in the inner city of Chicago at the time. My mother in law let me borrow the book to read, since I could not watch the series. I ended up, along with my first husband, being the brunt of a workmate's anger over the series. We did not know about the anger and indignation the series was causing for African Americans until that night.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - by Shirer. Read this when I was a teen-ager - I don't know why, it wasn't required reading, it was just fascinating.

Currently reading The Raj Quartet, each around 600 pages - 1) The Jewel in the Crown (finished) 2) The Day of the Scorpion (1/3 through), 3) The Towers of Silence (finished), 4) A Division of the Spoils (awaits me). Didn't read them in order, obviously.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Well, let's see.

• The entire Lymond Chronicles series by Dorothy Dunnett. Six volumes, each at least 400 pages.
    • The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, two or three times
    • Nearly all of Dickens, starting with Oliver Twist in childhood.
    • I read the first two Harry Potter books, but had gotten tired of the style by the time the third volume came out.
    • I used to read The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror each year - easily 600 pages each.
    • Ditto The Year's Best Science Fiction .
    • I've read Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure seriesat least twice, another 500+ pages.
    • And now I'm working on Hoodoo - Conjuration - Witchcraft - Rootwork by Harry Middleton Hyatt. Three volumes, each one over 900 pages of text. No illustrations. Since it's a reference book, I expect it to take years, but I am determined to read it all the way through.

gently feral

• Open mind
    Open mind

Dune

The Thorn Birds

Atlas Shrugged

Sears Catalog

• maxwell
    maxwell

Roots for me too. I read my dad's old copy at least twice when I was a teenager.

I think the original miniseries came out in the 1970's when I was too young (or maybe not born) to see it. I didn't get a chance to see the miniseries till I got my hands on a library copy of it at some point in my 20's.

I recently bought a copy of Roots for myself. Though I don't do much personal reading for pleasure now, I have started reading it again. Maybe I'll get through it again.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Bizzy Bee,

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - by Shirer. Read this when I was a teen-ager - I don't know why, it wasn't required reading, it was just fascinating.

Agreed! I read it as a teenager and once more after being in Germany. 1134 Pages....still in my library. Also the 900 days and the Arms of Krupp are 2 additional great reads on the same subject and just as long.

r. (ps....sorry can't get these fonts to straighten out!)

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I am a detention officer on the midnight shift, so I get to read at least one book a week. Sometimes there thick sometimes there thin.

What I look for is that they are interesting to me.

I'll see what the reviews say on Amazon.

If by thick you mean dense, boring and imcomprehensible I try to avoid those.

I'm not a fan of fiction either. I will read some science fiction.

The thickest book I have in my bookshelf right now is "Our Oriental Herritage" by Will Durant

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Hi Pagey!

I have read The complete guide to Linux Administration, Networking Guide to TCP/IP and lots of other text books in the past couple of years. I have read my entire Rotherham's Bible which was about two or more inches thick! I also read War and Peace, and some thick Readers digest compilations too.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Yup - read many many books that are 1000 pages, small print. Currently started The Initiation, can't remember who the author is again.

• Galileo
    Galileo
    Ken Follett, Pillars of the earth, and World without end. Both around a 1000 pages.

Those were the first two I thought to mention. I just finished World Without End yesterday. Both of them excellent books. My list also includes: Neal Stephenson: Cryptonomicon, Quicksilver (started The Confusion but haven't gone back to it yet). Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Brothers Karamozov Douglas Adams: The Hitchhikers Trilogy (actually five books, but I have the first four bound in one volume, so I'm counting it). Thomas Friedman: The World is Flat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit