Anybody ever read any really thick books?

by JimmyPage 41 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hey sass_my_frass, I read a suitable boy whilst I was traveling around India. It was so big that every time I finished a chapter I tore it out so the book got progressively less heavy to carry in my backpack! Agree - it wasn't really worth it - it just like some sort of India soap opera.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Roots.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

The Brothers Karametzov (sp) nearly killed me in high school. I loved the Thorn Birds as well and if Harry Potter counts I read the entire series to my children and would have loved to continue to do so as my now THIRTEEN year old and I shared great times together reading that series which I will miss dearly :) He and I are Potterfreaks and even though Daniel Radcliff as Harry will probably be a grandfather before they finish shooting the series, we will always love our Harry!

LD

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Roots.

Now, how could I forget ROOTS?

I cried from page one to the last.

Sylvia

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I slogged through The Brothers Karamazov back in 2005. While I sort of understood the philosophical/spiritual statements that Dostoevsky was trying to make with it, I found myself largely unmoved by it. I found Notes from the Underground much more interesting (and blessedly short!). I've made a couple of attempts at Moby Dick but I never get very far into it before I found myself avoiding it - I guess it's just not my kind of book, with all its lengthy descriptions, argh.

300 pages or so is about right for me. I am just finishing up This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolfe and I think it is one of the best books I've ever read.

• dinah
    dinah

I never read roots, but I can vividly remember watching the miniseries on tv when I was very young. It upset me like nothing I've ever seen even to this day. Some things just hurt my heart too much to read.

The autobiography of Malcolm X was long, but it was worth reading.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I joined my "secret society" to slap Jehovah in the face, I got three of them. The books were each about 5 cm/2" thick. The typeset was easy enough to read, and the language was easily decipherable (and the content actually made sense). And I got through each one in about 2 weeks.

Then, when I had to read Washtowel littera-trash, a dinky 192 page book would take longer than that to read. Even with typeset that was easy enough to read, none of it actually made inherent sense. It had to be studied with other Washtowel material, and even then I could hardly make sense of what its purpose was beyond another slightly different route to the paradise earth. Nothing to differentiate one from the others. The "secret society" material, on the other hand, actually builds on one another and describes how it's up to human society, not Jehovah, to create our own paradise. All of which makes total sense.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Do really thick school books count? I've read a ton of them.

The whole HP series in a couple of months

The Grapes of Wrath

Pride and Prejudice

A few Stephen King books

Nothing really long like Anna Karanina, though. I tried to read really long ones but just got lost. They seem to drag for me. I like fast paced books. If any really long fast paced books come along, then yes, I'll read them.

I don't watch TV but for maybe one hour/month.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Too many to count or name. I like a good long read.

Rolling rock: I haven't had a chance to read World Without End yet. Is it as good as Pillars of the Earth? I thought that was one of the best books ever.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Lots and lots...If you're talking fiction, a couple that come to mind: "Gone with the Wind"......"Battlefield Earth"....and most of James A. Michener's historical novels, especially "Texas".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit