Anybody ever read any really thick books?

by JimmyPage 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

I'm with Dinah...The Stand & It by Stephen King are probably the longest books I've read. Both EXCELLENT reads!

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Well this is going to completely give away my nerdiness but.....

Gone With the Wind to many times to count. It's sequal Scarlett. The Winds of War, War and Peace, War and Remembrace.. GREAT books by the way. Great expectations, oliver Twist, Tale of Two Cities. most of Dickens. Moby Dick, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer... Ya get the idea. Used to have an obsession with reading all the classics.

I have to say I love Tom Clancy and have read everything he wrote Solo.

CL

• dinah
    dinah

Oh yeah, I read It as well. The Thorn Birds was long, but it was good.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Yeah, Peppermint, I have all of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing graphic novels. Great stuff.

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Ken Follett, Pillars of the earth, and World without end. Both around a 1000 pages.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

No Tolstoy and little Dostoevsky (none of the long ones) but I have read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (~1,500 pages), The Lord of The Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (~1,200 pages), Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, (~1,000 pages), Ulysses by James Joyce (~1,000 pages), Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (~1,000 pages).

A long book is not necessarily a harder read than a short one (or at least several short ones), although it can be daunting and I'll generally only start a book of 800+ pages if it's "worthy". Of course that usually means more difficult to read anyway, so now I tend to save the chunky ones for holidays when I will be forced by circumstance to plough through them. Perhaps Vanity Fair next, or one of the Dostoevskys that are currently gathering dust on my bookshelf.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Basically, what CandleLight said.

All of the Harlem Renaissance writers and Aid to Bible Understanding from Aaron to Zuzim!

When I was a kid, I would read from 3-4 books a night by the light of a kerosene lamp.

Sylvia

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

"Yeah, Peppermint, I have all of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing graphic novels. Great stuff."

Excellent JimmyPage. He actually lives in my town but I have never seen him about (and you would hardly miss him)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I used to, but my attention span isn't what it used to be.

W

• dinah
    dinah

If you like graphic novels The Dark Knight was really good. The Crow graphic novels are great too. They are more violent than the movie but it's a great story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit