What's Your View Of Jehovah's Witnesses As Individual Persons?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do you think they make the best parents?

The best children?

The best workers?

The most moral?

Witnesses say they are the best families, the hardest workers, the most honest, moral people, etc....Do you think they excel in any of these areas???

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

While I was a JW I thought I was the most honest, had the best parents and that they were the best example of good morals around. I retrospect I found that I excused a lot of behaviour that was wrong. Nope, they may think they are a "fine example" but they are not.

Sad, I think.....

• yknot
    yknot

Much like the rest of the human population it's a ..........

• Gopher
    Gopher

I think many JW's have good intentions. However they are deluded into believing and teaching toxic and self-righteous things. This does not make for "best" of anything. Their friendships are usually conditional, based on your level of theocratic activity. This prohibits them from being "best" at friendship.

They may be best at loyalty. To an organization.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Do you think they make the best parents? No more so than any other parents - some good, some not-so-good.

The best children? Ha! Most lead double lives, are uptight and neurotic, and are in serious need of counseling.

The best workers? I've worked with people who would put the best of JW's to shame.

The most moral? Only when they think others are taking notice.

Witnesses say they are the best families, the hardest workers, the most honest, moral people, etc....Do you think they excel in any of these areas??? That's where the disconnect and dissonance enter the picture. The thing is, we're all in this together - the good and the loving, the sorry and the sad. I'm glad I no longer feel the need to try to live up to the WT's impossible ideals.

Sylvia

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

I have not found that JW families are any better or worse than "worldly" families.

One thing I do notice lately is that JWs do not feel any shame in getting divorces these days when things are not working out. In decades past, they would try to stick it out or just suffer through it until one of them died. Here lately, though, couples are splitting and getting legal (though sometimes unscriptural) divorces left and right. It's little wonder that we keep seeing more articles in the Watchtower about marriages and staying together.

Nobody is afraid of the "unscriptural divorce" threat anymore. What this means to me is that the powers that be at the Hall of Justice will come down with some stiffer penalties for unscriptural divorces. That or they will just become more mainstream and allow the divorces to go through because they are already having trouble retaining people.

er

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Do you think they make the best parents?

Dragging kids to late evening meetings and long circuit assemblies is not good parenting.
    Putting theocratic activity ahead of helping your kids with homework is not good parenting.
    I hate to bash JW parents, because they think they are doing their best, but are caught in
    the cult. Telling kids to set theocratic goals and not to bother with college- not good parenting.

Fortunately, many JW parents are better than that. Those that were defined as "weak JW's"
    were often leaving one parent at home because Junior had a project due at school, or many
    JW's were allowing their kids to have college in their plans.

The absolute worst is shunning your adult children who got baptized before adulthood and then
    left the religion. Terrible parenting.

The best children?

Kids are kids. If they don't follow the parents' lifestyle, they are looked at as rebellious by the
    parents. The ones who do follow their parents are trying to please their parents. Either way,
    it's just kids being kids.

Oh, back to parents- It's bad parenting to try to instill fears in your kids of everlasting
    destruction from not choosing the WT way of life. Still, it's just the parents thinking they are
    doing what is best.

The best workers?

They are generally honest, but workers are workers. They do what you pay them for- no more,
    no less. On the opposite side of honesty, they are generally not willing to do overtime or reach
    out for more responsibility if they are dedicated JW's. They want that time off for their precious
    theocratic activity, but they also want all the Christian and Worldly holidays off. JW's hiring JW's
    discover that they expect full understanding of their special circumstances and priority for their
    demands of time off for the Convention, C.O. visit, evenings and weekends at the hall.

The most moral?

If they are dedicated JW's, they tend to have great morals. But remember that many JW's are just
    going through the motions. We shouldn't just find fault in all areas of JWism. Generally, the firm
    believers are good moral people. It's a shame the organization uses them the way they do.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

They are not the best workers! In fact after I quit my last job (I had already left the org and become somewhat normal by this point), a JW interviewed for my replacement. My supervisor told me that she secretly hoped they didn't hire her because she couldn't handle having another JW to work with. She said they were too demanding of certain times off, refused some of the overtime, and wouldn't greet the customers with "Happy Holidays" and the like.

• undercover
    undercover
    Witnesses say they are the best families, the hardest workers, the most honest, moral people, etc....Do you think they excel in any of these areas???

I thinks some excel in one or all areas, some are average, some are sub-par and others are lousy.

What hurts JWs and other groups who claim to attain to a higher set of standards/morals/etc. is that when you hold them under a microscope they really don't excel as a group. They're really no different than any other group. Because they make that claim, it's easier for critics to pick apart their holier than thou stance and attitude. Not that they're not deserving of criticism to some degree, just maybe not to the degree of lumping all people in the faith as hypocritical, lying, scam artists. I think that the average JW is trying to do what's right...it's just that they are being mislead and used. In the wake of being mislead into believing they are special, they fall into a trap of feeling superior and special.
  • minimus
    minimus

As a parent, I would never trade my mom for anyone. (In spite of the religion!)....She did train me with biblical principles that I believe helped me to be a "good" person.

Regarding JWs being the best at everything simply because they call themselves JWs, I think that's dumb. As with any group, some excel in certain areas and others don't while the rest are in the middle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit