Hi everyone I am a newbie and I need help

by philosopher 36 Replies latest jw friends

• philosopher
    philosopher

I have been coming here for some months y I must admit that i am still in. But i have serious doubts, i mean, i am 99.9% convinced, the JWs are not the true religion, but I still live with my family, and they are JWs, and I love them. My parents have a long time been JWs, and it is very hard for me to tell them the truth. Could you please help me out with this? how can I show someone with more than 30 years in the organisation, that it is all fake? Thanks in advance for your help... the philosopher

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Welcome to JWD philosopher. I have learned that you really can't show other people unless they are ready to see it. Otherwise they will just tune you out. And you can't force them to stop believing in something. Best you could do is tell them why you don't believe it. If it makes them think, great. If not, move on with your life. But it will really suck living at home if you are DA'd or DF'd. People have done it though.

Good luck!

momz

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Hi Philosopher. Welcome. You are me six months ago. I am still in too. You have a rough ride ahead, sometimes you will feel you will go insane and sometimes you'll want to blurt it all out to your family, probably in the next 3 months when you feel angry. Don't. Let the anger subside, take things one day at a time and if you need to rant do it here. If you really want to help your family you need to take things really slowly. Baby steps. There are a number of great threads with advice here. I will try to hunt some of them out for you.

Mickey.

x

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Philosopher, are you living with JW parents? If you are of an age where you can support yourself financially you have the option of leaving home. If you're not I would quietly work towards it, even if it means faking things for a year or two. It may seem like a long time now but it's really not.

Mickey.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Hi and welcome, the bottom line answer to your question is, you cant do it. Real change has to come from the inside out. The emotions they feel for the organization are to strong. I speak from personal experience. Sorry. seek2find

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

seek2find, there are many examples of people here that show it is possible. Whilst it's true that people have to do it for themselves, I believe you've got a good chance of starting the thinking process if you do it right.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi and welcome. Why rush to tell them? Why rush to even make a decision? If you're young enough to be dependent on them, are you able to find a way to work around the stuff that bothers you, and let it go until you can take control of your life? Don't put yourself in a vulnerable situation unnecessarily.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

It's something that takes time and in point of fact YOU won't actually be doing it. All you can do is fade on your own, live a happy and fulfilling life and take opportunities when they present themselves to drop little crumbs for them to think on. Having a big blowup with your parents only feeds in to their pre-conceived notions about how non-believers and "apostates" act. They have a knee jerk reaction that may not even reflect their true feelings for you. It's best to just bide your time and you tongue for a while. Besides, consider how looking over the cliff of truth affects them. Here is a way of life they've stuck to and sacraficed for all these years. Now they see things that may call all their previous life decisions into question. --- that scares the hell out of many. I know that's the case with my mom. She nearly left a few year ago, but seemed too frightened by that prospect.

Welcome and I wish you well.

• sparrow
    sparrow

both mickey and seek2find have good advice here. You really can't change people without them wanting to and you really don't want to react in anger or frustration. Take advice from here and work out where you are and then plan for what you need and want to do.

At least now you know the truth you can react the way you want, not because of emotional guilt...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    how can I show someone with more than 30 years in the organisation, that it is all fake?

When you find that magic answer, let us all know. We can point you in the right
    direction, but many of us have not managed to open up the minds of some of our
    loved ones. The best you can do is start reading and learning for yourself and
    trying different avenues to help others.

Some realize the history of WTS is twisted. Some realize the organization is
    putting itself ahead of the individuals. Some realize the doctrines are not right.

My standard advice is to read. My personal recommendations are
    COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL and RELEASING THE BONDS by Steve Hassan.
    Also, Ray Franz (former JW Governing Body member) books, CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE
    and IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM can help. CAPTIVES OF A CONCEPT
    has some interesting ways to try to open the mind of JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit