Why did Abel offer "fatty pieces" to Yahweh?

by easyreader1970 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome Rivington !!!

Any other thoughts on Moses' storytelling?

B the X

• chikikie
    chikikie

Maybe sheep were kept for ''recreational purposes''

hehe....... SICK.......lol able mustve been welsh, they do god knows what to sheep there lol

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Great thread! Good questions I've never thought to ask. I think the Society's take on the whole vegetarian/meat eating question is one of those "Evidently" doctrines, where they extrapolate something out of thin air, to be recalled and re-presented later, when something else is more 'evident'.

I remember back in the '60's (ok, giving away my age here!) when we were aghast at the Catholic Church coming out with the view that the first 11 chapters of Genesis were not to be taken literally. Blasphemy! according to the WTS. But after all my research, I tend to agree. All allegorical....

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

The Bible With Sources Revealed by Richard Elliott Friedman. Fascinating.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I always had a problem with that since I was young. I remember asking my dad that question when I was about 8 or 9 years old. The answer I got was that Abel new in is hart that we needed a sacrifice for god to forgive what we did. I still did not know why a sacrifice was needed. I also ask him later, I was maybe 12 or 13, if Adam and Eve had a belly button, the answer I got was "you know why donkeys don't go to school? Because nobody likes a smart ass".

• VM44
    VM44

So the animals before the flood did not prey upon each other, but the humans did kill them for sacrifice.

Something is wrong here.

"Fatty portions" refer to the choice pieces of the animal for eating....in other words, the best was to be given in sacrifice to Jehovah, but, again, if humans did not eat meat at that time, then there were no special or best pieces to be given to Jehovah, all the meat would have had the same value to a human who did not eat meat.

There is an anachronism here!

• VM44
    VM44

Why was burnt animal sacrifice so important to the culture back then that the Bible writers had to have the earliest humans performing it?

• free2beme
    free2beme

Perhaps he did not read the most recent research on fat content in your diet and link to high cholestoral.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Maybe sheep were kept for ''recreational purposes''

Midwich ..... LMAO ....

Rub a Dub

• joebin
    joebin

I used to enjoy asking the question, and since Abel didn't eat meat what difference did it make, and how was it a sacrifice, he wasn't missing out. However, I think it's kind of a mistranslation. I think the verse means that Abel was offering the best of his herd, the ones genetically stronger or better, thus the "fatty pieces"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit