Why did Abel offer "fatty pieces" to Yahweh?

by easyreader1970 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

THE GROUND WAS CURSED.

"in the sweat of your brow shall ye cultivate it."

In other words, a vegetarian diet was very HARD work and unreliable as a source of food.

Millet, rice and wheat were not yet domesticated.

Adam and Eve were thrown out of Eden BEFORE they had even planned to plant next years crops.

They knew animals were killed to clothe them. Why not kill animals to eat until the first meagre(cursed) crops grew?

We need to remember that the Canaanites worshipped AGRICULTURAL fertility gods who were offered constant VEGETABLE sacrifices. So Cain offering vegetables puts him in the camp of the Baalworshippers and the Sodomites. Remember Lot chose the land of Sodom for its superior vegetable sustenance.

No the jews were sheepherders, so Abel is portrayed in a good light.

If they had bred pigs he would have sacrificed a pig.

Revelation 7 would say the Great Crowd have washed their robes in the blood of the Pig, and it would be a pig standing on mount Zion.

"Behold the Pig of God that taketh away the sins of the world."

if lambs were unclean then jehovah would be insulted as the scripture says by one "offering up the blood of a lamb!"

It is all anti gentile propaganda.

HB

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The fat was the most valued part of an animal in primitive diets.

Ask an Innuit or a Native American.

When times were tough and animals were not fat enough in the fall, they knew that their health would suffer.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The fact is too that the prey animals would have been devoured by the predators before they had a chance to breed a population capable of sustaining the food chain.

Likely, the predators continued to eat vegetation until the hunting instincts put into their vegetarian ancestors kicked in.

HB

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

...because the priest who compiled the various myths into the Genesis work knew that the sacrifices to Jah were actually consumed by the priesthood........ hence the edict saying you must give the best parts to the priest God. Yum!

• VM44
    VM44

I still say there is something wrong here. "Fatty pieces" for Jehovah at a time when animals did not hunt and kill each other and humans did not eat meat.

Did a Bible writer slip up?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Or, perhaps sheep were actually considered a vegetable before the flood.

No fair, you made me burst my soda onto my computer with that!! You might owe me a new keyboard! The k key is a little stickkkkkkkky.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I'm marking this thread for myself because wow, there's some interesting stuff here that I've never even thought of!

• sir82
    sir82
    Was Abel really a sheepsmilkman? Or a cheesemaker?

Well, didn't Jesus say "Blessed are the cheesemakers?"

• snowbird
    snowbird

The Book of Jasher - Chapter 1

14 And the boys grew up and their father gave them a possession in the land; and Cain was a tiller of the ground, and Abel a keeper of sheep.

15 And it was at the expiration of a few years, that they brought an approximating offering to the Lord, and Cain brought from the fruit of the ground, and Abel brought from the firstlings of his flock from the fat thereof, and God turned and inclined to Abel and his offering, and a fire came down from the Lord from heaven and consumed it.

16 And unto Cain and his offering the Lord did not turn, and he did not incline to it, for he had brought from the inferior fruit of the ground before the Lord, and Cain was jealous against his brother Abel on account of this, and he sought a pretext to slay him.

17 And in some time after, Cain and Abel his brother, went one day into the field to do their work; and they were both in the field, Cain tilling and ploughing his ground, and Abel feeding his flock; and the flock passed that part which Cain had ploughed in the ground, and it sorely grieved Cain on this account.

18 And Cain approached his brother Abel in anger, and he said unto him, What is there between me and thee, that thou comest to dwell and bring thy flock to feed in my land?

19 And Abel answered his brother Cain and said unto him, What is there between me and thee, that thou shalt eat the flesh of my flock and clothe thyself with their wool?

20 And now therefore, put off the wool of my sheep with which thou hast clothed thyself, and recompense me for their fruit and flesh which thou hast eaten, and when thou shalt have done this, I will then go from thy land as thou hast said?

Apparently, not all were vegetarians.

Sylvia

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Here is my take on it and an interesting discussion we had a coupla years ago.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/163846/1/Does-cain-get-a-bad-rap

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit