Is anybody out there....

by wings 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Sasha
    Sasha

I absolutley believe in God the father and Christ his son. Many of my prayers are answered (not all of course) and by virtue of the natural world around me. I can feel God. I have no doubts. Love to all.

• changeling
    changeling

HS, I'm "feelin the love"! Your post was beautiful and touching.

changeling :)

PS: I just love a smart, "nice" man!

• wings
    wings
    There is nothing wrong with searching for this answer, remember that Jehovah is who He is and that will NEVER change.

While I appreciate the time you took for this, you need to know my issue is with my faith in God.

I am completely done, and wonderfully over serving the WTBTS. I am sticking to that, the only true belief I have right now.

wings

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Wow HS, I'm impressed what a beautiful, thoughtful post!

Wings:IMO, too many people don't want to depend on themselves. Having a sky daddy to lean on gives them comfort although he really doesn't do anything in particular to answer prayers. It's a crutch and as far as I'm concerned if that's what you need to get through the day then believe on.

But the reality is, when life is tough and it seems we can't take anything else on, it's the real live human touch, voice, thought, hug or advise that get's us through.

When my belly is growling, when my bills need paying it's my hard earned work and money that provides this - not god. When I'm down and out, sad, worried,need a hug or someone to vent to or get advise from - it's my family and friends that get me through - not god. Maybe if I believed in god that belief would help me get through but god has not done one thing to provide for me.

No too long ago something happend in my life that I thought I would surely die from. I actually found my self praying for strength to deal with it. That didn't work. What worked was me getting up off my ass, putting things in perspective and dealing with the problem that has gotten me through. Praying for strength made me cry more, laying around hoping god just might this one time give me the strength to get through depressed the hell out of me.

You do what you have to do, believe what you need to believe. But if something isn't working try a different approach! God may or may not be. I don't have any proof one way or the other. I'm leaning toward NOT, if in the end he is and he wipes my little black ass out, then it's ok, I've had a wonderful life, my family is happy and healthy and I'm not afraid of death or whatever may or may not be after death. Be good to yourself.

((((((((((wings)))))))))

nj

• wings
    wings
    .....Time is the currency of life. The moment I stopped expecting answers regarding the existence of God, and the afterlife, whether Christ really existed or not, was the moment that I truly felt that I was living.

For the last 10 months, since I left my husband, my stuff, and my JW life, I have been living moment to moment, sometimes day to day. I have survived because I do find appreciation in the life that is happening around me. My grandkids are a constant source. I love the simple things, so I am easily entertained.

However, inside of me, all I can see is the fray from the battle. I think somehow this question has to be answered before I can truly engage in the moment. I land mostly in the resolve that the 'question can't be answered'. Maybe, moving forward would be the 'question doesn't need to be answered'.

Time is the currency of life...I can embrace that. Now that is helpful. Thank you.

wings

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I tried being an athiest. I've found I feel better if I just think of god and me in a tit for tat passive agressive fight. I think I believe god exists, just suspect he may be a major league asshole.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    They go because their family and friends do and know nothing of the bible, just outlined monthly presentations to hand out magazines.

Yep that defines many people... Even when I was a missionary, I felt like I was teaching things that in my heart I didn't believe in. And for months, I have not felt like praying, except a few sighs and groans when I'm feeling really down.... Not that I get an answer...

Welcome to JW Agnostics.com

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Awakened,

Welcome to JW Agnostics.com

Actually Leslie Weatherhead, a Methodist minister wrote his very progressive book, 'The Christian Agnostic' in the 60's in which he deals with the ethics of honesty and belief.

In it he reconciles the 'I don't know' with the 'I want to know' and accepts that those attracted to the teachings of Christ can believe in them without believing, or at the least having no definate proof of a God. He was of course criticized by the religious majority who felt he was trying to water down Christianity, though the reality is that he was years ahead of his time and breaking the mould of blinkered thinking by trying to be honest about the matter.

The reality is that once the very suspect emotional framework of 'faith' is put aside, no religionist can verify Christ, Allah, or any of the Gods existence and as Weatherford noted, to do so without verifiable evidence is an act of intellectual dishonesty. Religionists need to understand that faith can be very admirable, postive and useful, but it is a chemically internal word and not an external addition to ones emotions.

It is so refreshing to read the words of such realistic religious thinkers, Martin Palmer being another. His book 'Living Christianity' is imo one of the most fascinating and honest books about the subject that I have read. These sorts of minds are few and far between in the religious community as medievalism and religion are never too far from each other.

My summation of an average religionist is of a person sitting in a Model T Ford with a Porsche handbook and trying to reconcile the mechanics. It is no wonder so many of them look foolish in a modern world.

HS

• real one
    real one
    I have tried praying, to God and Jesus, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere besides being an emotional release.

I guess that is good for something, especially in the dark of the night when you can't sleep. I feel the same way. Continue to pray. remember this poem

Footprints in the Sand
    One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
    Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
    In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
    Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
    other times there were one set of footprints.
    This bothered me because I noticed
    that during the low periods of my life,
    when I was suffering from
    anguish, sorrow or defeat,
    I could see only one set of footprints.
    So I said to the Lord,
    "You promised me Lord,
    that if I followed you,
    you would walk with me always.
    But I have noticed that during
    the most trying periods of my life
    there have only been one
    set of footprints in the sand.
    Why, when I needed you most,
    you have not been there for me?"
    The Lord replied,
    "The times when you have
    seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
    is when I carried you."
    Mary Stevenson
  • wings
    wings
    if in the end he is and he wipes my little black ass out, then it's ok,

....that was cute....honest.....and real.....

I feel the same way, only the ass going out would be a little white one

wings

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit