Why do we get stumbled out of JW's because of imperfect people?

by reniaa 78 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

reniaa-

Just want to say, I like that you post what you are thinking. I also hope those people who got stumbled because of an elder or whatever come to the understanding that it really isn't the truth.

I will tell you something else. When I was a teenager I did get stumbled over what elders did. The reason why was because the scriptures state that by love people will know that you are my disciples. When the elders were not loving, I got stumbled. Then, I was told that it meant the organization as a whole. The whole thing was confusing for me... oh well...

• jgnat
    jgnat
    reniaa: I see this a lot on this forum, loads of people saying they left JW's because of "hypocritical .......

This is a strawman argument. "Imperfect people" are certainly not why I won't get involved with the society. But, as you picked the topic, let's go through the argument.

reniaa: Why would you expect any man-run organisation if you believe the bible, to have to be perfect and not be full of imperfect people that will come across as hypocritical?

I agree that the bible follows a pattern of redemption > fall away > judgement > repentance > redemption. People fail regularly. It's what we do. We forget the grace that has been extended before, and make the same mistakes over and over again through the generations. And God forgives us over and over again. But this is not what the society teaches. The society teaches that the Isrealites are permanently condemned by God, that their failure was irredemable, and that the society has replaced them as the new Isreal. The society also teaches that our current world, with it's variety of churches, it's imperfect people, politics and nations are irredemable, and will be permanently replaced by a new society perfect in every way.

If the society is right on this matter, then they must be the most perfect example of Godly living today. Are they? Not even close. I can name dozens of churches and denominations that spread the good news, do good works, show love amongst each other and to our world, better than the society can. Are these churches perfect? Hardly. Is the society, however, more nearly perfect? Hardly.

If the society abandoned it's doctrine that they are specially chosen by God because the rest of the world is condemned, then I would be perfectly happy to accept it's imperfections. But they have not.

On another note, it's entirely another matter to consider the individual flaws of congregation members, and flaws in the organization and leadership itself. As the leaders go, so does the society. I find far too many bullies prosper in the society due to their penchant for secrecy and closed-door judgements. If the society were the closest thing to perfection on this planet, I would expect to see more fruit of the spirit. After all, it's the fruit that is evidence of God's blessing.

Galatians 5:22-23, Matthew 21:19-20, John 15:1-6

reniaa: The way I see it all Christian faiths have to be lumped together ... have to be judge as a group

Yet, we all face the Lamb's throne individually. The society loves to lump. I see Jesus talking to people. The rich young man, the pharisee, the tax collector, the centurion, the Samaritan woman. If I face the judgement seat alone, I have an individual responsibility to follow my conscience. Isn't that reassuring, that I won't be judged as a "group"?

reniaa: This is one of the main reasons I find flawed for people to leave JW's on this forum especially if you have read the bible extensively.

You are using as your "main reason" a strawman argument. There are much deeper reasons that the society is dangerous and should be avoided. But we'll keep those arguments for another day. (smile)

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    The bible examples from israelites onwards name anyone :- Moses, King david, pharasees, Paul the one thing the bible doesn't do is white-wash them . . .

There you go.

It wasn't people's imperfections that caused to leave. It was the rampant whitewashing.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• carla
    carla

In my mind it seems to me that jw's, through such repetitive teaching they cannot wrap their head around not having an organization. They believe organizations can 'save' you rather than Christ Himself. It is indeed 'to whom' shall we go to, not to which organization. Christians that I know do not identify so much with their church or organization but rather with Christ. They are Christians above all else, they just happen to go to a certain church for their own personal reasons but that doesn't mean they could not go to another church and still be happy and still hear the message of Christ, not the organization. Early Christians were admonished for identifying so greatly with a certain teacher. They were to be Christians not paulians, markians or some other teacher.

It has been drilled into the jw mind that they could not possibly read the bible on their own and understand it that even some who leave carry this hangover with them and look to men to guide them rather than the Holy Spirit.

• real one
    real one

jgnat, i like the way you put that. it is so true that there are others serving God. If one does not go out to find this they will never see. They will keep believing as i did for 17 yrs that the jw had the truth.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Realone.....You are tripping yourself up here....You say here that for 17 years that you believed what the wts taught, while in your first posts on jwd you said that you only STUDIED with them. 17 years???And you never got baptised as a jw? Now you say that you were a baptist?

Whats' the STRAIGHT SKINNY on you ANYWAYS??

NMG

• real one
    real one

nomoreguilt says:

Realone.....You are tripping yourself up here....You say here that for 17 years that you believed what the wts taught, while in your first posts on jwd you said that you only STUDIED with them. 17 years???And you never got baptised as a jw? Now you say that you were a baptist?

Whats' the STRAIGHT SKINNY on you ANYWAYS??

NMG

I did believe what they taught for 17 years. no, i was never baptised as a jw. yes i was baptised as a baptist before i studied with jw.

whats your point nmg?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just wondering, real one. Did you smoke? I've never met anyone who studied longer than my hubby, to no effect. Unless they were a smoker.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

The point I am amking is Why or how did you ever study with them for 17 years and not get baptised? JW's do NOT carry on a study with people for that long.....

Explain.

NMG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit