Why do we get stumbled out of JW's because of imperfect people?

by reniaa 78 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    You agree with article on God isn't supporting an organisation?

Yes I do. And more than that - that the Bible God never did support an organization. Once a nation - albeit divided and multi-directional, but never any sort of organization otherwise. Even while supporting a nation, and while supporting his favored servant individuals, many accounts show his favor toward individuals who had no personal relationship with the OT God directly.

I hope you get to read the article. Tom is easy to read.

Jeff

• reniaa
    reniaa

you make a fair point ip_sec but after JW's what then? what is a viable alternative? This has proved a stumbling point for me and why with imperfection the issue in the organisation or the individual, i just can't use it as a reason not to be a JW.

Jw's are harsh strict, in these stakes i suppose people are telling me JW's are the worst and what they ask of us is just to much?

You cant disagree with perfection. Its perfect!!! You'll never catch me disagreeing 2+2=4. But I cant disagree with an imperfect organization without losing everyone I know? Well thats just the most preposterous thing I've ever heard. Sounds like some kind of control tactic to me. What say you reniaa?

Is one of their imperfections controlling people? I'm still thinking on that since I first read it on this forum months back. Its another big thing people bring up on here about JW's calling them Borg etc mindless people encourage to follow not question. A little bit unfairly in one sense because one thing the JW's do teach you is to question things in life, other faiths, governments etc that you then may point that questioning mind at them maybe classed as "being hung by their own petard"

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    what is a viable alternative?

I finally settled to have no belief in god. I have no idea what would be for you.

A little bit unfairly in one sense because one thing the JW's do teach you is to question things life, other faiths, governments etc

Yes questioning institutions other than them is all right with them.

"being hung by their own petard"

Perhaps, that is probably why I stayed a JW for so long. Following them I felt like a rebel, an outlaw, a real out of the box thinker. Thats also probably why I left them too.

• TD
    TD

Reniaa,

I think you've made an extremely good observation:

If all christian religions are equally imperfect but by being Christian they are saved then technically all you have to be is a Christian to be saved and it doesn't matter which one, as God will understand?

So i could pick an easy one that only asks that i say sorry every now and then when I do wrong and I can take pleasure in enjoying life knowing loving God is enough hmmm i'll have to think on that.

If the mistakes and shennaigans of the JW's can be excused on the basis of human imperfections why couldn't other religions be accorded a similar level of mercy?

Of course the JW's have their stock answers for this type of question, (e.g. Only we have the Truth, Only we have Jehovah's approval, Only we are preaching the Kingdom, Only we are the faithful and discreet slave, Only we are dicrected by Jehovah, etc.) but every one of these answers are claims that the JW's are much more than just another religion. .

So on the one hand, the JW's are so much better than all other religions that Jehovah is going to kill everyone in those other religions, sparing only the JW's. But on the other hand, when the JW's make mistakes, they fall back on excuses that should apply with equal force to all other religions.

What's wrong with this picture?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Q.: Why do we get stumbled out of JW's because of imperfect people?

A.: Because these imperfect people tell us that we must follow the dictates of THEIR consciences, not our own. Because JWs are REQUIRED to accept, believe and teach the imperfect doctrines of men, then turn on a dime when the teaching is adjusted. If the are imperfect - and I agree with you that they are - then what gives them the RIGHT to make such demands of other imperfect people who are their equals?

• reniaa
    reniaa

Yes i did AK - jeff and replied about it in an earlier post, I did feel he was splitting hairs by saying a nation isn't an organisation, once the gates got opened so gentiles could join calling them a nation no longer becomes an option.

To be honest this is were I fall flat a bit as i haven't read NT recently and at this point would want to explore the whole acts romans etc paul setting up congregations and sending letters etc to see what i feel he was trying to achieve and does it translate into being a religious organisation,

• loosie
    loosie

I left because of the hypocracy of the whole group not just a few people. The GB who told me what to do was in fact not following their own directions. So I don't follow them anymore.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I didn't leave because of the people in general.

I left due to the organization.

Quirky1

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Because the leadership claims to be perfect (out of one side of it's mouth).

• reniaa
    reniaa
    If the mistakes and shennaigans of the JW's can be excused on the basis of human imperfections why couldn't other religions be accorded a similar level of mercy?

Yeah i knew i'd given myself food for thought

I guess a big part of me is saying this would just be too easy an option, not just invalidating the witnesses but the majority of the bible from Adam onwards, jesus still made a point of backing up the law in our everyday practises, in a way if feels like a mockery of all the teachings of jesus and NT by us saying that belief in God is enough but on the other hand maybe he realised how difficult it would be for us to be devout in the way disciples were in that first century?

That still leaves the question on how God will judge christianity at the time of judgement when there is so much variety and denominations?

I can't talk on the faithful and discreet slave stuff, I've been away from Jw's to long to be accurate on it, you guys will know more on it than myself.

I'm tired and so off to bed, i've enjoyed this discussion :) thanks peeps Good night All /wave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit