CONFIRMED Book Study amalgamated with the TMS and SM

by yesidid 135 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrow
    sparrow

The way I see it is another night we can "drop in" to my father's unexpectedly for dinner so we don't have to cook!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Tired:

Watch them cut out the number 2

I just had to laugh at the (likely unintended ?) double entendre here...

Snakes ()

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy
    I just had to laugh at the (likely unintended ?) double entendre here

HA HA HA

• Gayle
    Gayle

After 30 yrs of Book Study evenings, & now with the new arrangement, I could have had 4.27 more years of evenings for myself. Well, anyway, I take this as a good sign. It may give some a little more breathing and "thinking" room for themselves. A little more time for the kids to be kids, for some now to read something a little more interesting, or just some good relaxing time. Time will tell.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

This has probably been mentioned already, but what about THE PRICE OF GAS as a consideration for this change?

How many of us know JWs who barely have enough to get by? With gasoline at $3.50 a gallon here in the U.S., more than a few people will be breathing a sigh of relief knowing they can cut out an extra trip a week, especially in rural areas. I knew some JWs that traveled over 20 miles to get to their book study.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Hopefully this trend will continue and they will go down to Sunday only meetings like the rest of Christendom. Why waste the poor brothers and sisters time and gas money.

But if we know the WTS, this wil actually become another flip-flop, and they will probably re-institue the BS (book-study, although it is BS) as the next edition of "new light" due in 2012.

A@G

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    OTWO: But when I want to illustrate the importance of all the weekly JW meetings,
    I can do it with one finger. Guess which one.

Oooooh can I guess?????

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

LOL at this lot . . .

I actually believe this is a step back to go forward.

Yes they need to get rid of a weekly meeting - I'm not sure how they've sustained 3 obligatory meetings a week for this long.
    But one mega meeting midweek still isn't the solution - within a year attendances will be low when everyone realises if you skip it you get a WHOLE WEEK OFF!

In another 20 years they'll realise what Babylon the Great realised centuries ago . . .
    That if you want to go to church, once a week on a Sunday is just about right
    That's my prediction - All meetings on a Sunday (like foreign language) within 20 years. Field service only on a Saturday.
    They may actually grow/retain members this way.
    A suggested tithe within 10 years . . .

By the way I do think there is one small group who will be upset about this . . .
    The jumped up, reaching out, up the PO/CO's arse "21 year old elder" who's just been made Book Study Conductor
    I can just see the look on their faces

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

As has been touched on by a few already but - I think the book study was the favourite meeting for many pubs. A bit more relaxed and more social.

Tea / coffee and a bite to eat afterwards.

Some may not be happy that its being moved!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If this is true, I say that it will be an almighty disaster for the dubs.

I have family who dont give a toss for Thursday meetings, are irregular on Sundays, but come hell or high water they make it to the Tuesday book study. Why?

It is a small group, if you are lucky enough to be good one there is a camaraderie - it is "our group", you feel one of the gang. There is a informal atmosphere, jokes are cracked, legs are pulled, you feel that you are among friends - and after a study in which you can answer easily, then you get tea and cakes..

If it happens it shows that the Wt has no idea about motivation and psychology - more will slip away

And what are all the elders going to do with their time?? A good idea would be to have Tuesday night as shepherding night (O K , I don't mean good from our point of view but they never do it any other time)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit