How the new "generation" study went down in the meeting today

by slimboyfat 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

JCanon

To accept your explanation, Jehovah’s Witnesses would have to accept that they have not replaced Israel.

It was Judge Rutherford who explained that the followers of the Society had replaced Israel and all the blessings promised to Israel were to be bestowed on them. He claimed that Jesus had returned in 1914 and was ruling in the heavens – but invisibly! Only with the aid of the Society's books would anyone be able to see this, as Jesus was revealing himself through them.

All Bible references to Israel were a coded way of foretelling the rise of Jehovah's Witnesses, though at that time they had still not adopted this name. Due to their rejection of Jesus, Israel were to be cast away forever.

This was in total contrast to the entire chapter in “The Time is at Hand” entitled “Parallel Dispensations,” where by quoting many scriptures Russell had attempted to show that Israel, as an earthly nation, had been promised that it would return to God’s favour and its homeland.

Many of the books written from then on set out to prove that all the promises made in the Bible, relating to Israel, had been or were about to be fulfilled on the Society and its followers.

The Witnesses believe that they alone are God’s chosen people. They alone have God’s spirit and guidance. Israel was restored – the Witnesses were living proof! They believe that the Bible’s promise to bring Israel into a land of their own where they would dwell in peace and security has been fulfilled, on them.

TG

• justhuman
    justhuman

I just hate how does the WT is playing with the dubs. I was teenager at the 80's and I do recall almost all the articles regarding the famous generation that it will not passed away. You can fill libraries regarding this subject with WT material...my God they are so blind...

Because of the generation my life and many other have ruined..we have stayed uneducated, spend our lifes preaching a false gospel. I can imagine bact in the 80's if someone would have said that they will be a change in the "understanding" of the generation it would have been disfellowshiped for apostasy...or that in the year 2008 we wouldn't be in "paradise"...

Dirty old men, with twisted minds, and a banch of blind leaders that they are leading millions into the pit

If only I had opened my eyes before 15 years, I would have save my self from a lot of trouble

• core
    core

I took the WT study back in 95 when they changed generation that time - looking out over a sea of faces who neither cared nor were concerned about the content - people parroted answers from each paragraph, I pushed the point of this as a "change" - you could see that the vast majority had no idea how the rug had just been pulled from under them - talking to some after the study it was obvious that the confusing way the WT said what it did, they did not feel cheated, lied to or misled - they just had no idea what had happened

Thankfully I neither took now was anywhere near a WT study this Sunday though I bet that the majority again just listened and had no comprehension of the fraud being perpetrated on them - many present in 1995 at that study are now dead - their lives or living as it should be - stolen from them with no return - yes message from the top of the WT is again sell Watchtowers or die - you might as well die because you will not see the Great Tribulation - the latest one card trick has shuffled that card to the back of the pack

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Core:

Thankfully I neither took now was anywhere near a WT study this Sunday though I bet that the majority again just listened and had no comprehension of the fraud being perpetrated on them - many present in 1995 at that study are now dead - their lives or living as it should be - stolen from them with no return - yes message from the top of the WT is again sell Watchtowers or die - you might as well die because you will not see the Great Tribulation - the latest one card trick has shuffled that card to the back of the pack

Hello Core. Thanks for this comment. I have sort of a similar feeling though now with the focus I sort of wish I would have gone to the meeting. I was "raised" in the truth and went through the 1975 drama. I was just going to share that this is like no big deal to me because this is the same old situation that has happened again and again and again with their changes. When you look over the entire history, this is just another in a long series of changes, and indeed, the average JWs isn't paying attention anyway. They don't THINK, they just read the paragraphs and think it means something.

And I think those who are thinking are now closing their eyes because they don't want to give up hope and they just think somewhere down the road all will be well. They are not ready to find their own answers in the Bible just yet. It is as if the real thinkers have long gone anyway.

It's sad and funny at the same time. I'm a little surprised at my own level of total indifference at this point but I suppose this is a big deal to many.

JC

• freydi
  • oompa
    oompa

Good post Slimboy, you said:

4. It is strange too that this article didn't mention the other recent "new light" about the anointed still being gathered and 1935 not being a cut-off date after all.

Now I wish I had gone, and commented that "at least we know the end is very, very near because there are so few annointed left, and they are all very very old since their number has been filled since 1935".......That innocent comment should have forced an elder to correct me....only one time has the society used the phrase very, very near for the end btw...........oompa

also my wife says there were NO interesting comments...no real mention of anything being new

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I studied the article Sunday morning while my wife slept and then I read the JWD Watchtower Comments thread about the article (which was excellent- it really opened my eyes to the true meaning of "parousia"). I have never been to a meeting where I felt my eyes so open while everyone else seemed oblivious. I made it a point to tell my wife "you know this is a major change in WT thinking". I also made sure that she understood that we had new light about 1935 in the past year too. Her reply? "Well with all this new light doesn't it seem like we must be right at the end?" So there's the JW reaction in a nutshell. I replied "Well it's hard to say really." I thought , you've got to be kidding me! All the while thinking about how many times the WTBTS has flip-flopped over the years. Unbelievable. One thing I can say for sure, from the comments given, NO ONE liked the 95 version of generation! But do you think they said anything about it before? Hell no! They didn't want to be apostates LOL!

• Robert7
    Robert7

A few comments from my wife (I wasn't there)

1) People's comments were that with this change the end is even more imminent (even though the generation change extends the end).

2) Our PO said about the change "the publication was right then, AND is right now"!!!

3) One brother said "it's JWs changing their minds again, but we appreciate being part of an organization that is willing to change"

• Mary
    Mary

Very good summary SBF. Yes it's amazing how they like to re-write their historical doctrines and try to pass them off as no more than a footnote.

• Ex-smoker
    Ex-smoker

When we got to the questions about the generation i made it interesting i commented on the understading prior to 1995 and the maginzine that had the "annoited" on the cover saying this generation will not pass away. I made mention of how its almost like there going back to the old teaching but not putting a limit, the conducter made the remark wow you did some reserch. After the meeting every one was saying what fine comments and one sis even said your right theve gone back and forth on this. I thinks me made some people think

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit