Athiest what do you believe?

by real one 108 Replies latest jw friends

• real one
    real one
    hope(v.)To wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment.
    hope(v.)To look forward to with confidence or expectation: We hope that our children will be successful.
    hope(n.)A wish or desire accompanied by confident expectation of its fulfillment.
  • real one
    real one
    I'd also like to know what "hope" you speak of. I don't believe there's anything supernatural interfering in our lives and judging us based on actions in order to dole out gifts after death, so I believe it's important to enjoy life and make it enjoyable for others and our descendants. Simple, no? because you dont believe in God does that make your belief true?

As for death, I don't fear it. If you think about the actual atomic make-up of your body, the raw materials for your atoms were floating around this universe for billions of years until they were forged into atomic elements in the bellies of stars and drifted into this lump we call earth, then a few more billion years of interacting with each other until we got this wonderful little glimpse of life (yes, 70 to 100 years is insignificant on a cosmic time scale), then we go back to being elements in a big recirculating system for who knows how many more billions of years.

Stars burn out and die, why shouldn't we? The stars were made for us. I actually believe i am a little bit more complex than that
  • real one
    real one

I believe that by the passions of two people, I was concieved and created in the womb. My first breath at birth and there after is all that's important. I can't change the beginning of time and I can't stop its end. In between, I do the best I can.

I believe you can do better, much better

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    Please set me straight.

Are you kidding, you really asked for it, I thought by now you may have learned that this is not a good

subject to bring up. You could just search the topics.

hope4others

• real one
    real one

Jeremiah preached how God was rejected in his day and i see nothing has changed down to our day. The Bible is true there is nothing new under the sun. the same things that went on back then are going on today. if people would just turn back to God this world would be a better place.

• marmot
    marmot

Be honest with yourself, you don't mean that last statement. What you're REALLY saying is that you wish people would all worship the judeo-christian deity. I don't think you care a whit about other people's vision of the divine.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I read about an atheist talking about his beliefs once. He said something to the effect of, "I believe in nature, which is powerful but uncaring. And I believe in love, which is not nearly as powerful, but very caring."

Put me down for that pair o' beliefs.

Keep in mind that you can kinda-sorta lump everyone that DOES believe something into the same pile, but the same doesn't hold true for everyone that DOES NOT believe something. One is somewhat more defining than the other.

And I hope, BTW, to enjoy my life and make a positive impact on the lives of others. I have no thoughts about anything eternal.

I assume that when you compare my hope to yours, you see yours as superior. But consider that there are 6 million JW's that think YOUR hope kinda sucks. And a few billion muslims that think you're both in for disappointment. Hope, like faith, isn't based on a whole lot, and comparing them based on the size of the reward hoped for doesn't seem valuable. I think I've got a pretty descent shot at making my hopes come true.

Dave

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm an atheist and I believe in lots of things - atheist just means I don't believe in god - a-the-ist or someone without god. Also without false hope and false beliefs about how the world ought to be and might be someday. I don't see any evidence for god and plenty of evidence that there is no god. Also, I believe it doesn't matter what you believe. Live a decent life, take care of yourself, be kind to others, try to have some fun. I agree with almostatheist too: 'I read about an atheist talking about his beliefs once. He said something to the effect of, "I believe in nature, which is powerful but uncaring. And I believe in love, which is not nearly as powerful, but very caring."'

• *Incubus
    *Incubus

I find it comical that real one said he had an open mind.Everything Ive read by him shows a general disrespect for others beliefs.

I suppose Im an agnostic,not sure.I dont believe that there is a divine plan.All the "evidence" doesnt add up to me.

As far as hope..I dont need it to live a fulfilled life.I dont need to imagine Ill be in a better place.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Accumulative amount of fear and ignorance is in the minds of these folks and that should be considered when addressing them.

Thats Real

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit