God dammit!!! I hate this cult!

by bluesbreaker59 67 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

So my girlfriend and I are getting very serious, and I've bought her engagement ring, should be done being built sometime in May. Then at some point later, I'm going to ask her to marry me. She was with me and picked out her ring, so she knows its coming. Long story short, she's the woman of my dreams, totally a sweet woman, treats me wonderfully, she's beautiful, intelligent, a hard worker, great communicator, and is a natural "nurturer", which tells me she'll be a great mom someday. Anyway... we were talking last night about wedding ideas, etc., and we came to "my dad's side of the family"... There are basically 10 people, my grandma, dad, stepmom, 2 aunts, 2 uncles, and some little kids, that are in the "Troof". Then there is also all of my (paternal) grandma's family that are too, but I'd only invite these 10 close relatives. So I called my dad up today, after chatting for a while, I asked "the question", because we've been talking regularly lately. He said, "Well, you know, I just can't make it." Like a KNIFE through the heart!!!! This man raised me since I was 5 when my mother abandoned us, he helped me out through everything. I'm not wasting my time with my grandma the "ultra dub", or my one aunt, who does "everything mom and the BORG say".

But you see, here is the "sticky" part, I'm going to invite old friends of my dad, grandparents, etc., "worldly" people, people that he works with, people that were close to me as a kid, etc. And all of them will ask, "Where is your dad?" What the hell do you tell these people? I shouldn't have to answer these kind of questions on my wedding day, ya know? I'm worried some of these ones will feel that they don't support my marriage to my partner, and I don't want her to feel that way.

I called my best friend, who is also my cousin and is also "out", he couldn't believe it. He was literally in shock, and said he wanted nothing to do with our family after this fiasco. He's going to be my best man, and I'm going to be his when he gets married next year. You see I'm DF'd, but he is not, he never got dunked. SO, some of the family will probably be at his wedding, yet they won't be for mine, and I'll be treated like garbage at his.

My GF is very supportive of all this and does somehow understand, she just doesn't think its right at all. I told her if they don't come to the wedding, then they don't get to see our kids, if we have any. Because they are rejecting me, therefore they also are rejecting my kids.

I even told them that it probably wouldn't be in a church, we're looking more at country clubs, vineyards, etc.. Her dad is a pastor and will most likely give the ceremony. Her parents have been great about understanding that side of my family is out of my life.

I called my mom and told her (she's also DF'd), and she assured me that her whole side will be there, and will be supportive. But I hate the fact that my own father won't be there to see me get married. Really how SICK is this organization? Do they understand how BAD of a "witness" this is to all those worldly people that will be there??? Not supporting your son's wedding? How uncomfortable the questions will be in the office???

• DJK
    DJK

Follow the proper etiquette and send the invitations.

If its a church wedding you may mention that and suggest their presence at the reception would be greatly appreciated. (Something like that) If they don't attend, they can't say they felt unwanted.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    He said, "Well, you know, I just can't make it." Like a KNIFE through the heart!!!! This man raised me since I was 5 when my mother abandoned us, he helped me out through everything. I'm not wasting my time with my grandma the "ultra dub", or my one aunt, who does "everything mom and the BORG say".

I'm very sorry you have been hurt this way, and it will no doubt be hard not to see him sitting their on your wedding day. Perhaps he will give it

more thought before that day and show up. Yes, that d#mm jw (df) "conscience thing" really is rather tiring.

Wishing you happiness,

hope4others

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

First of all, congratulations!

Secondly, sorry you are going through this cult-family ridiculousness.

Thirdly, in answer to your question of what to tell the people who attend your celebration and notice your family being conspicuously absent... the answer is tell them the truth. Let them know how ridiculous the cult is. It is they who are presenting a "bad witness", not you. You do NOT need to cover for them and make excuses!!!

And you know what? "By their LOVE you will know them."

The "love" comes through loud and clear. Let others know what they are REALLY about.

Love,
    Baba.

• sir82
    sir82
    And all of them will ask, "Where is your dad?" What the hell do you tell these people? I shouldn't have to answer these kind of questions on my wedding day, ya know?

Why should you answer at all?

Your dad made the decision not to attend, let him look like the idiot as he tries to explain why he chose not to attend his son's wedding.

If someone asks you, at the weddding or later, just say something like "of course he was invited, but he chose not to attend. He can explain the reason better than I can - next time you see him, ask."

• Open mind
    Open mind

Perhaps you should seek out the advice of Miss Manners or (shudder) Dr. Laura. They have a national audience. What a fine witness that would be!

OM

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Oh my gosh, Open Mind... that's a fabulous idea!!!

Broadcast this "bad witness" on a nationally syndicated radio call-in program!!!

• chickpea
    chickpea

i am so sorry that such a dark element clouds what rightfully should be a celebration of new beginnings..... how tragic for your father to lose his perspective

what you describe is EXACTLY what finally prompted me to get out of the b0rg..... the demand that i REMOVE MY CHILDREN from my life simply because they have a variant world view than the b0rg..... never!!!

i hope there is time for your father to reconsider..... that his knee jerk response was issued before his heart engaged his brain......

congratulations on the impending engagement and nuptuials

• loosie
    loosie

I'm sorry to hear about that. if anyone asks "Where is your dad?" respond with "I don't know you should ask him" make you dad answer for his own stupidity. When he explains that he didn't attend because your are of different religions. they will laugh.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Don't fight it,

Do your thing and enjoy your wife and your whole life ahead!

You need noones approvel for love!

Your inner core knows this!

You are looking at the outer person of yourself who has always needed what everyone else needs - confirmation from others!

I am seriously $hit at explaining this so if you want reinforcement for your own position go to my thread Heart Operatics and check the link and listen to Oprahs 2nd New Earth 90minute chat with Eckhart ( Within 30 mins I virtually guarantee you will want to know more!!)

Best wishes OMG how I wish I were you with the description of your wife to be!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit