Obama's Comments on 'Small Town' Voters- Sadly, he nailed it

by nvrgnbk 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Being blinded by politicians is like being blinded by religion. I guess we have to remove one blinder at a time.

free, The problem is, you will spend your whole life removing them. Warlock

• free2beme
    free2beme

I plan on it. Fool me once, shame on them, fool me twice ... shame on me. You live and you learn, right?

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I plan on it. Fool me once, shame on them, fool me twice ... shame on me. You live and you learn, right?

Yes. That's why preachers and politicians are not to be believed. Warlock

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

From the liberal pub "The New Republic":

Dear Senator Obama:

This week at a fundraiser in San Francisco you denigrated people who live in small town America saying that "they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them, or anti-immigrant sentiments or anti-trade sentiments as a way to explain their frustrations."

We are from small town America – we are the people you are talking about, the people you say are leading "bitter" lives. Well, Senator Obama, nothing could be further from the truth. Here in small town America we lead productive lives full of belief in God and country. We live in communities where we go to church because we are hopeful, not because we are bitter. We believe that our passion for fair trade is born out of the principle of fair play, not frustration. We believe that the future of our country is bright and reflected every day in the stars and stripes of our country's flag.

We need a leader who will stand up for small town North Carolina and all Americans. Someone who understands that we are a resilient and hopeful people who are proud of our values and our communities. That, Senator Obama, is what this country needs.

Signed,

[A bunch of authentic small-town folks.]

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_stump/archive/2008/04/12/clinton-campaign-further-strengthens-the-democratic-party.aspx

• avishai
    avishai

Is he an elitist? I don't know. But the excuses and apologia from the media are pretty messed up. Because they don't make sense.
    #1, people (including Obama) are saying "Well, he's right, people are frustrated!!" No shit....80% disapproval rating of our current administration? Yeah, there's frustration. But that's a red herring, it's what he said about how they react to their frustration, and who he said it too.
    Did he say it in Pennsylvania about Pennsylvania? No, he said it to private fund raisers in San Francisco home of some of the wealthiest, most corporate, elitist, paternalistic, out of touch knee jerk liberals I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I'm a social liberal. I even agree with a ton of what comes out of the 9th circuit court of appeals, the most liberal court in the country. But even I can't stand some of the radical horseshit that comes out of that town.
    And i've seen firsthand the way many of them treat and view "small town" america when they sell their homes and businesses and move, and push people around, treat you like your retarded for actually being a local. Bitching about the environment while being a two person family that drives an escalade to commute. Arguing gun control, but then you see them at classes, stoked to get their concealed carry permit in the one county in CA where it's still fairly easy. When confronted, having them tell you that "Well, I have a lot more stuff than everyone else where I moved, I'm a target, so I have more to defend, and more of a right." Sound extreme? I've lived through it the last 7 yrs or so since the dot-com boom died out.
    Yes, I know, I'm talking smack too, about a segment of hypocrisy that drives me nuts to be a liberal. But it exists. Which brings me to my next point and why it's soooo egregious.
    People say "Oh, Obama can't be elitist, Hillary has way more personal wealth. He comes from humble beginnings."
    Ever know a nouveau riche a-hole? Ever know someone who was one of the "nerds" or not in the "in" crowd, and when they finally became "popular" was an insufferable jerk, way worse than the ones who were already there? And then shit on their friends from before, talked bad about them, made fun of them to the "cool" kids behind their backs, or even to their faces? I sure have. I've had it done to me and it sucks. Also? When my turn came with the "in" crowd? I did the same damn thing. And it's exactly what he's doing now.

• avishai
    avishai

I should say, that's exactly what it looks like he's doing now. It gives that appearance.

• avishai
    avishai

Earlier comments referencing the same thing, perhaps more in perspective..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88wMPAWc90

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Earlier comments referencing the same thing, perhaps more in perspective..

Thanks for the link.

Obama has dropped to a double digit deficit in PA on this.

Indiana and Kentucky coming up.

A lot of rural small town voters there.

I think this really hurts him.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Oh, Obama can't be elitist, Hillary has way more personal wealth. He comes from humble beginnings

He went to a private school and spent a few years living and experiencing various cultures and countries. His mother was university educated as was his father. His white granny that raised him and his sister was a professional, well educated woman. I'm not really sure what humble means when people talk about Obama. His wife made a point of exclaiming she doesn't know how some mothers are making ends meet cos after all, she knows how expensive and time consuming those piano and ballet lessons are for her girls. That is elitism and yes I do believe that the Obamas are part of it - pretty well every politician is. sammieswife.

1. Elitism -
    2. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
  • owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

He nailed it??? In other words, you are saying that 'small town america' people worship and possess guns out of "bitterness"?

I disagree. I think the majority of Americans worship, not because of bitterness, but because they sincerely think they are paying homage to the Creator. Also, I think that most Americans that own guns, such as myself and others, do so because we want to. We enjoy hunting and shooting. It has nothing to do with bitterness. This was a major gaffe by Obama and will cost him in the general election in November.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit