Athiests please answer these questions

by Mrs Smith 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

I'm not trying to pick a fight I was just sitting at my desk pondering on some threads on JWD and I would very much like this question answered.

Why is it that athiest often (not always) direct their argument for athiesism towards Christians? Why not direct your argument towards Buddists or Muslims or even New-agers? I mean they also believe in a higher power so why is it that only Christains seem to get knocked? Is it because your only point of reference is JWs and the bible and therefore easier to reference?

Just trying to understand.

• trevor
    trevor

Mrs Smith

Before Athiests can answer your question you will need to prove to them that you really exist.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

My guess is based on likelihood!

The likelihood that a human born in a largely 'Christian'population will believe a Christian divinity is far higher than say the likelihood of believing in polytheism!

Similarly, many atheists in developed nations have experienced a Christian environment during their lifetime and so it is to thai as a point of reference taht they allude when stating their case for their own belief!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I wonder if that's the case everywhere, or just in Christian-dominated societies? I have a Christian background, so my basis for comparison is Christian. I suspect many atheists you've encountered find themselves in a similar situation.

However, I don't think a person is doing themselves any favors if they reject the idea of god solely on their christian experience. Rejecting BibleGod on that basis might make some sense, but not the whole concept of a higher power.

Dave

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I've seen the athiest/agnostic arguements directed at both Christian and Muslim believers. Buddhists, etc seem to rarely bother to engage in this type of debate, maybe since there isn't some need to "make" everyone else believe what they believe in order to achieve salvation.

The Christian and Muslim religions are among the newest and least developed religions, and the followers are much more entertaining...or so it seems at times. The older religions get it that we can believe different things and it doesn't mean theres some old guy out there that's pissed about it and sending over hurricanes, typhoons, etc.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Why is it that athiest often (not always) direct their argument for athiesism towards Christians?

Most western countries are primarily christian and those atheists usually come from a christian background but I agree it should not be limited to christians only...humans being sentient creatures will always seek a higher power wether christian on non...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Mrs. Smith:

Why is it that athiest often (not always) direct their argument for athiesism towards Christians?

It's usually a defensive rather than an offensive tactic. Most of the theists we encounter are Christians. There's little point in me trying to convince you of the absurdity of the Bhagavad Gita when you don't believe in it anyway.

Why not direct your argument towards Buddists or Muslims or even New-agers?

Most of the arguments against the Christian god work equally well against his Muslim equivalent. Buddhist and New Age beliefs tend to be slippier and harder to define and argue against. Often what they believe turns out to be functionally equivalent to atheism, or at least so vague that disagreeing with it is a futile exercise.

Is it because your only point of reference is JWs and the bible and therefore easier to reference?

Partly. I am much more familiar with Christianity (and specifically JW) than I am with any other religion. It's therefore much easier for me to argue points of detail about their specific beliefs. And also, as I mentioned, most of the theists I encounter are Christians anyway.

My arguments against the existence of gods don't ultimately depend on any one holy book, but some people's arguments for their gods do depend on their holy book. It may be necessary to convince someone that there's no reason to believe their holy book is inspired before moving on to the point that there's no reason to believe the universe was created.

Finally, the word "atheist" is an exception to the usual "i before e..." rule, as it's root is the Greek word theos. Or you might remember it better by considering that it's an "-ism". (Excuse the pedantry, it's just such a common error it needs to be highlighted from time to time.)

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

You'll see more Christian ones on this forum because of those who are religious, Christianity is the most popular choice. There are a few Muslim ones because we have a few Muslims. If I started a thread that said Hindus were silly to believe in Krishna, it would soon die out because as far as I'm aware, there are no Hindus here (or at least any who want to debate).

It's about the target audience and Christianity is the dominant religion in my culture, so the one I address more than others.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Before Athiests can answer your question you will need to prove to them that you really exist.

Trevor, I almost had coffee coming out my nose I laughed so much at this reply. Thanks I needed that.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Thanks for the english lesson funkyderek, spelling has never been my strong point.

Thank you for your honest answers, it's all very interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit