Athiests please answer these questions

by Mrs Smith 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Layla33
    Layla33
    Muslims, Buddhists and tribal people and even non religious people have superstitions of some kind.

Sorry that's not true. The issue is there are no absolutes, there are many different types of interpretations of atheism, and as a Buddhist, I have an issue with you saying this, as there are people who follow the philosophically aspect without any theism. The tenets of Buddhism do not rely on the supernatural at all. People can follow a path for peace of mind and fulfillment, has nothing to do with the supernatural realm, whatsoever. Zazen is the core of Zen Buddhism and that is meditation.

I don't know much about tribal people, but I know that there are many facets to it, and we can't say for sure what they think or believe.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Reality is tough. Life is hard. I understand why 90% of people need to create some form of hope that things in their life will get better magically or that their next life will be better.

Good point... life can brutal.

Fantasy helps some deal with it. At some point fantasy becomes reality.

Maybe someday in the distant future, Archaeologists will dig up Superman comics and maybe find a film reel or two and argue that he was a god who protected humans from danger...

• Layla33
    Layla33
    Scully - I say fight fire with fire! If they say they'll pray for you, tell them you'll send a prayer to the great purple monster lizard in the sky for them too! If they say "God bless you", tell them "may the Easter bunny bless you too". I wonder what kind of look you'd get.

I am going to take a bit of an issue with that. My entire family is JWs, they say things to me that I don't agree with whatsoever, but I don't need to battle them because I am at peace with my beliefs. I let them say what they think and then it is over. One of my best friends is a Sunni Muslim, she speaks to me about her belief system, I listen out of interest, I know she is not trying to convert me, she respect what I think. If she says a Muslim word or wishes me peace based on her belief, I don't feel compelled to argue her down with mocking her thought process because it is pointless.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

As an atheist, I really don't discriminate. I pretty much think all religion is petty & silly. Buddhism, however, seems to be one of the few religions out there that doesn't condone the "believe what I say or I'll hurt/kill you" mentality. I have no need for Buddhism in my life either, however.

Christianity, it would seem, especially in the western world, takes a lot of criticism from western-world atheists because it's the predominant religion. It is also one of the most violent, hypocritical, non-progressive, unenlightening, judgemental, & pushy religions out there. Islam condones/encourages violence toward non-believers too, and I am making an unfounded statement here, but I truly believe that more people have died in the name of Christ than Allah over the centuries.

Personally, I think pretty much ALL religion, especially Christianity, is holding the Human Race back from it's true potentential. I think it's time for people to stop this ridiculous faith in pissed-off genies floating around in space waiting for the right time to smite everybody. The Bible is a laughable book of fairy tales & challenges any thinking person's intelligence. If this nation, in particular, were not governed with God in mind, groundbreaking procedures like stem cell research, by way of example, might have all the backing & funding they need without being decried as "unholy".

-Breck

• Layla33
    Layla33
    Personally, I think pretty much ALL religion, especially Christianity, is holding the Human Race back from it's true potentential. I think it's time for people to stop this ridiculous faith in pissed-off genies floating around in space waiting for the right time to smite everybody. The Bible is a laughable book of fairy tales & challenges any thinking person's intelligence. If this nation, in particular, were not governed with God in mind, groundbreaking procedures like stem cell research, by way of example, might have all the backing & funding they need without being decried as "unholy".

I have a question or make it more like an observation, so maybe you can help me out here. What I notice as a common theme is that atheists seem to argue with the idea that their belief system, although not a "religion" is the best way for people to think. I think that's the issue I have with the very outspoken atheists I come across in my travels. It is not so much that you think what you want, but you are essentially arguing that your opinion is better than someone else's and isn't that what most religions that you criticize are doing? Your belief may not have a god, but you are essentially mandating that you have fact and others do not, so we need and must think like you or else we are not intelligent or we are basing our life on fairy tales.

So in actuality there becomes a fight that I see between religious people and atheists, and if you think that it can't become violent like any other battle over beliefs, I am sorry you are mistaken. In my opinion, I have seen just as many battles between religious and non-religious (atheists), with some getting so out of hand, it was unbelievable over "I am right" and "you are wrong" that essentially the point is lost. The Mother of American Atheism was very hateful, ignorant and attacked people to the point that she was murdered - I don't condone it, but I have come across a type of anger with some, certainly not all atheists, that I think make me see just another feather in the hat of fighting over who is right and what we all need to believe.

Personally I think people need to be allowed to think what they want, if it makes them happy and if it gives them peace, just allow me to be free and peaceful in my beliefs as well.

And that is why I love Buddhism (I swear this isn't a plug), all you have to do is "be". If you are living in the present and trying to find peace, then you are on your path.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I have never, ever gotten violent over my beliefs. A question was asked, and I gave my personal opinion. It's not like I stand on a street corner preaching atheism. If people feel that it enriches their lives to be religious, fine. Just not for me. I don't try to cram my beliefs down people's throats and I appreciate reciprocity in that aspect, but if someone ASKS me why I believe the way I do, I will tell it like it is. I have no desire to go on the war path with Christians, Muslims, or anybody for that matter. But I AM entitled to my belief that 99.9% of religion is ridiculous, destructive, and inhibits enlightenment & human progress.

Personally I think people need to be allowed to think what they want, if it makes them happy and if it gives them peace, just allow me to be free and peaceful in my beliefs as well.

You pretty much nailed it right there. I don't go out of my way to tell others what they should be thinking. Quite the opposite. I really don't feel that my beliefs are better than anybody else's. Atheism is the only ideology that makes sense to ME. If you want to believe in genies, more power to you. In fact, the pushy, "you need to believe as I do" attitude is the main thing that turns me off from religion in the first place. I would hate to be a hypocrite by displaying the same behavior. I just get a little defensive when people tell me I'm wrong or, my favorite, immoral, for not believing in God. The only reason I responded to this thread is because the question was asked.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I do as well, so long as it gives them peace and does not condone harm upon others, regardless if it is by their own doing or not.

And that is why I love Buddhism (I swear this isn't a plug), all you have to do is "be". If you are living in the present and trying to find peace, then you are on your path.

That is exactly why I love not having a belief system in place.

During my doubting jw time, I found Buddhism to be a useless waste of reading time. I was no longer looking to be guided, but to guide my own way in the most humane way possible.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Very karmaic!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty
    Personally, I think pretty much ALL religion, especially Christianity, is holding the Human Race back from it's true potential. I think it's time for people to stop this ridiculous faith in pissed-off genies floating around in space waiting for the right time to smite everybody. The Bible is a laughable book of fairy tales & challenges any thinking person's intelligence.

Good comment Low key

Totally agree , human ignorance diminishes pro-active achievements that can have the potential of bettering humanity

• Layla33
    Layla33
    I was no longer looking to be guided, but to guide my own way in the most humane way possible.

That's exactly what Buddhism believes, I am sure a lot of Buddhists (no matter their sect) would smile at that statement. But whatever you find that works for you, I wish you well on it. :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit