Athiests please answer these questions

by Mrs Smith 67 Replies latest jw friends

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

LMAO on this thread about those believing typhoons sent to the US from a pissed god and the Krishna thread some atheist is stressing to post then getting uptight cuz they all seem to be ignoring it!

I think all atheists are hoping gods prophets were Isaac Newton and Darwin etc so he will be so pleased they kept up the science to solve all the worlds ills!

And the fact that they dont believ in him is proof they arent doing any good deeds for a reward (afterlife) so subliminally they are displaying genuine unconditional love and will have waaay more chance of an afterlife!

In fact if I wasn't 'feeling' pantheisms I'm on the same train they're on!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I think of myself as Agnostic, but not really knowledgable about other religious viewpoints to totally dismiss them. I'm only sure that the Bible god is not real. I don't think that any other god exists, but won't really go out on a limb there. As FunkyDerek said - comments made by me are often refuting crazy (in my opinion) comments made by jesus freaks.

If some Buddist wants to post something about his god, then we can have a go at him too.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I gear it to my audience, if the person I'm debating is Christian I'll point towards that, if they're Muslim I'll point in that direction, so on and so forth. I think the reason you see more christian/atheist debates is because christians will try to debate their faith with atheists, some of the responses from Muslims that I've seen are rather hostile. Plus many of the sites where the debates would take place are banned in many of the Islamic countries.

• Layla33
    Layla33

As a Zen Buddhist, I just want to clarify some things here:

All Buddhism aims to be a path that leads to enlightenment (Nirvana). Stressed are issues like insight and calmness of the mind.

If you are awakened and enlightened, then you are on your path.

For many people including myself, Buddhism is a way of life, a philosophy and not a religion per se. We are not concerned with conversion or arguing with folks over their beliefs. There is truth in many things. I will leave with a quote by someone pretty famous, I happen to keep it in my office.

A quote by Albert Einstein: Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spiritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

That is lovely Layla!

I was just on the other thread seeing how Biblical hellfire is an abomination to my inner core!

So I see why atheists despise the Bible!

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Thank you Layla, I don't know much about Buddhism. I was not "picking" on any specific religion I just used it as an example to bring my point across.

• Layla33
    Layla33
    Thank you Layla, I don't know much about Buddhism. I was not "picking" on any specific religion I just used it as an example to bring my point across.

Oh no problem, I realized that when I read the topic and your remarks, I just wanted to highlight a little bit about Buddhism (we don't focus on conversion, but we like to educate on it whenever possible), and the reason why atheists may not have such a huge issue with this religion/philosophy. I personally believe that they may find some things tangible about our belief system and not feel it is a direct opposition to it because we focus on the natural world, as well as scientific, that's why I quoted Einstein.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Layla - why can't your Buddhist got show his face rather than pretending not to exist so we can pick on him too.

Just joking. Not looking for a fight at all.

Thanks for enlightening me about Buddhism. But really - do you believe in a god or gods who created everything? Or could Buddists be considered Athiest?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Most people in English speaking countries (and one of the rules of this forum is that you can only post in English) are more familiar with Christianity. Hence, you are going to find many more references to Christianity, and mostly Christian viewpoints.

Also, more people are familiar with the Bible, which is a Judeo-Christian book, than with the Islam books or Far Eastern religious books. But trust me, their gods are just as much mysticism as Christianity or Judaism. Any time you take an unexplained phenomenon and use it as proof of a God, you are basically closing out the possibility of harnessing that phenomenon yourself. And it matters not whether you are Christian, Jewish, Islam, or some "heathen" religion.

Atheism is believing in no God. True, many people associate atheism with being the antithesis of Christianity in this country. But, atheists do not believe in Allah either. Anyone that does not believe in Jehovah but believes in Allah or some other God is not truly atheist. And, there are those that believe in more than one god--the polytheists. They, too, are affected with mysticism. Only science can find and harness all those God-like acts and ultimately control the universe. And then, once we have mastered science, we can play God and become like God ourselves.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Man can create and man can destroy. Man has replaced god. Man is God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit