A STUNNINGLY simple question about JOHN 3:16 "For God so Loved the world."

by Terry 384 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

Gopher says:

REAL ONE -- This eternal God you describe, lived an extremely long time or forever all alone. Why did he create beings (angels, humans) whose sole purpose in life is to worship him? Is he that insecure? Does he constantly need praise? There's a word for people like that (egomaniacs), is that how your God is? If you said he created people so that they could enjoy their life, that would at least be logical

You need logic? What is logic to God? you seem to think you are smarter than him. So go ahead Eve eat the fruit!

If we praise, worship, and OBEY him we will enjoy life beyond our little minds capabilities of understanding.

Yes I need logic. If there is a God in heaven, and if as the Bible says he created us in his image, then certainly we have a need for logic at least on a human scale. Your answer talks about the benefits to a worshipper. However, you completely skirted the issue about why a God would create angels and humans just so that he could be constantly praised and worshipped. It isn't logical because such a God would have already had everything he needs.

• real one
    real one

Gopher who are you to say what God needs? Are you God?! I think not! you dont know what goes on in Gods mind. People in the Bible that had faith in God just did what he said do. Maybe you need to pray for faith. you must be sincere though so that you will get it. The nerve of people, bunch of false prophets

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Gopher...

"However, you completely skirted the issue about why a God would create angels and humans just so that he could be constantly praised and worshipped. It isn't logical because such a God would have already had everything he needs."

If your cash is the JW coin of worship/obedience, it would be hard to see the truth in this Scripture...

Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who LOVE Him. 1 Corinthians 2:9

love michelle

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Let's go with the theory that evolution is the "moral" driver. That means a blind dice-thrower, devoid of emotion, is at the helm of our morality. And you term that a basis for civilization?

Two bold claims again: 'blind dice-thrower' and 'devoid of emotion'. Variation may be rather 'blind', even though evolutionary theories differ in this respect, but 'natural selection' certainly isn't. It's a process by which environmental factors actually 'steer' the evolution, although the term used may be too godlike. More recent theories on evolutionary psychology have come up with the term 'survival of the fair'. Why this moral value? Because evoluition operates upon populations, not individuals, the more so with social animals like humans and other primates. Social animals, thus, can only be successful (evolutionary fit) when individuals cooperate. Morality emerges bottom-up, not top-down as thought before. This is one of the major shifts in contemporary sciences.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    I know squirrels are real because my Elf dreams about them.

lol

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    In other words, how do you or I know that expanding the sphere of cooperation is a morally good thing?

This is a good question, I didn't except you to ask such a postmodern ultra-sceptic question. I would say that we need to redefine these qualifying terms in light of scientifical findings. Since cooperation apparently raises our species' fitness, I would affirmatively claim larger spheres are better.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I think you have bought what someone sold you. That meme won't be adopted by me.

Let's omit this kind of arguments.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I've wondered many times about the necessity of such a provision as the ransom. Why couldn't a loving god simply forgive the sins of those who were truly repentant, especially if sin were something they were born into? It shows that, even in the new testament, where the message is supposedly one of love and reconciliation, god's justice and mercy cannot be attained without bloodshed. Why must someone always die for God to be satisfied?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Some of the reasoning here goes right over my head, but Gopher asked the question, as follows:

Yes I need logic. If there is a God in heaven, and if as the Bible says he created us in his image, then certainly we have a need for logic at least on a human scale.

This struck me as a parent: "If there is a God in heaven, and we were created in his image,....."

We do not want to be alone in this world. Apparently neither did God.. He created everything from the Universe to humans to animals to enjoy and share his world.

As a parent, there is nothing more thrilling than bringing a child into this world. We all have great hopes, and dreams for our children, but in the end they are free to do as they please. Sometimes it does not work out. We try to provide every avenue possible so that they are successful in society for as long as we possibly can. As a parent you never give up hope that they will do well and succeed. Some respond, others do not.

As a perfect parent, I think God would know best what he wants from his children and what they need. The problem is the children become adults and skew things for others. God didn't want to be worshiped because he demanded it, he wanted to be worshiped out of love for him. Just like a parent, I don't want my kids to love me because I brought them into this world, but because my husband and I earned their love and respect.

The problem with the God factor is, too many humans have decided they speak, behave and rule for god. In the end, he will decide.

In other words all the dilema here. Just like each set of parents or each segment of society, whether it be in the U.S. or the militants in the Middle east and beyond.....all rules and judgments are based on their own interpretations. In the end God will decide, not anyone else.

Thats why I have given up on organized religion.

Yes God so loved the world, but our stinking relatives got in the way!

r.

• Renegade
    Renegade

I still don't understand why Jesus needed to come to Earth to die in the first place. Here's the story I gathered. Adam and Eve sinned, the innocent are punished for it, God sends his son to die, this makes everything better somehow. Why did he send Jesus to die in the first place? Because God loved us so much he gave us another chance by killing his son?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit